Rockbox Development > New Ports

Rockbox Player - Project to design and build a Free/Open hardware audio player

<< < (2/145) > >>

roach:

--- Quote from: saratoga on September 28, 2006, 10:16:23 PM ---All of this is documented in the wiki.  I recommend looking at the 68k targets first since they are most mature and have the most optimizations commited.

--- End quote ---

Do you have a link to the actual page? Or search terms I can use? The problem with wikis (IMHO, and not just the RockBox wiki...) is that they're such a pain in the a$$ to navigate. You can only get to a page by searching for it. God only know how many "hidden" pages are on the average wiki, just because there are no external links...

roach:

--- Quote from: Mad Cow on September 28, 2006, 10:56:48 PM ---For the future I would recommend a dual-core CPU, because I've read that will be the fastest way to decode video and audio without an external chip. The problem is, nobody knows how to use both cores yet.

--- End quote ---

For a music player, or even a full-fledged PDA, this is waaay overkill. I was thinking an ARM-9, prolly running at about 200MHz.

saratoga:

--- Quote from: roach on September 28, 2006, 11:33:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: saratoga on September 28, 2006, 10:16:23 PM ---All of this is documented in the wiki.  I recommend looking at the 68k targets first since they are most mature and have the most optimizations commited.

--- End quote ---

Do you have a link to the actual page? Or search terms I can use? The problem with wikis (IMHO, and not just the RockBox wiki...) is that they're such a pain in the a$$ to navigate. You can only get to a page by searching for it. God only know how many "hidden" pages are on the average wiki, just because there are no external links...

--- End quote ---

The problem with users is that they can't be bother to look for themselves.  The iriver port is linked on the front page of Rockbox.com as well as the wiki.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IriverPort

Next time look before asking.

--- Quote from: roach on September 28, 2006, 11:33:42 PM ---For a music player, or even a full-fledged PDA, this is waaay overkill. I was thinking an ARM-9, prolly running at about 200MHz.

--- End quote ---

FWIW the Ipod is a dual core ARM7 running at

markun:

--- Quote from: roach on September 28, 2006, 11:35:00 PM ---I was thinking an ARM-9, prolly running at about 200MHz.

--- End quote ---

I think 200MHz ARM9 CPU is fine if it's not much more expensive than a slower CPU. You can change the clock to save battery time (like we do on most targets). The Toshiba Gigabeat we are working on has a 300MHz ARM9.

--- Quote from: roach on September 28, 2006, 09:30:58 PM ---I want to design a player that will do all the marvelous things RockBox is capable of. Themes, plugins, games, Video, Software codecs, you name it.
--- End quote ---

You just need a DAC and a (color) display for that.

--- Quote ---So I need a push in the right direction with regards to hardware. What kind of CPU does the community recommend? How much RAM? Hard-drive or Flash-based?

--- End quote ---

Hard-drive or Flash-based really only depends on what you want. Flash is more robust but with a hdd you can put a lot more music on it.

For a flash-based player I don't think you need that much RAM, as reading from flash doesn't cost you much battery time compared to a hard-drive.

If you go with the hard-drive then you want a lot of memory (at least 32MB I would say) so many songs can be played from RAM before the disk needs to spin up again.

It might speed up the port if you use parts already supported by other players:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DataSheets

It's not completely up-to-date. I'll add some more Gigabeat parts to the list later.

roach:

--- Quote from: saratoga on September 29, 2006, 12:37:39 AM ---The problem with users is that they can't be bother to look for themselves.  The iriver port is linked on the front page of Rockbox.com as well as the wiki.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IriverPort

Next time look before asking.
--- End quote ---

Ouch. Well, first, rockbox.com is a GoDaddy parked domain. You must mean rockbox.org.
On the rockbox.org front page there are no links to any iRiver port (unless you mean the "Daily Builds" page?).
And I'm not looking for a port. I'm looking for hardware specs and suggestions (though Rockbox is maybe the wrong place to be looking, but I figured if you're writing iPod firmware, you must know the iPod hardware pretty well, right?). But thanks for the link, I'll take a look at the iRiver port.

--- Quote ---FWIW the Ipod is a dual core ARM7 running at

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version