Support and General Use > Audio Playback, Database and Playlists

Max possible MP3 bitrates

(1/2) > >>

Dean:
Hi,
I own an iPod 3G but MP3 support isn't implemented at the moment but I was thinking of getting a new one, maybe a Nano but I'm not sure.  My question is what is the max bitrate I can get away with when playing in MP3 as most of my music is encodered in VBR with either min 192KBPS to 320KBPS or 192 to 256.  This would cause a stutter wouldn't it?

Febs:
This is somewhat offtopic, but you could get better results and avoid the stuttering problems by encoding with one of LAME's -V presets rather than contraining the encoder by using an unnecessarily high lower boundary on the bitrate.

ryran:
If you're still encoding music to mp3, definitely use lame -v3 or something. As for high cbr stuff with rockbox: neither my video or nano have ever had skipping problems w 320kbps mp3s, ever. (Trying to play games/use eq/peakmeters not included.)

Mikerman:

--- Quote from: Dean on August 18, 2006, 09:09:52 AM ---Hi,
I own an iPod 3G but MP3 support isn't implemented at the moment but I was thinking of getting a new one, maybe a Nano but I'm not sure.  My question is what is the max bitrate I can get away with when playing in MP3 as most of my music is encodered in VBR with either min 192KBPS to 320KBPS or 192 to 256.  This would cause a stutter wouldn't it?

--- End quote ---
I get no stuttering with such settings.

Llorean:
The iPod 3G doesn't actually have skip-free playback yet.

The processor, the PP5002, has a very very slow cache. Most consider it "broken". At least, if I understand correctly. The current iPod playback code does not yet take that into account, and tries to work the same as it does on the newer PP502x series of processors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version