Rockbox General > Rockbox General Discussion

Have you read the Rockbox Manual?

<< < (24/27) > >>

umptious:
I'm talking about the Fuze manual (hence the comment about the typo re. Fuze EQ) and I did not say that the manual did not tell the user which USB mode to use. What I said was that

- The manual does not tell you to select the player as a drive; yes you can only do in this in MSC mode, but that it is not the same as telling people this needs to be done

- If you make a mistake with mode/selecting the player as the drive, the installer doesn't tell you, and that the manual does not warn of this behaviour

I'd suggest that an install guide should be usable by someone with no real computing knowledge, and it should be forgiving if people make a mistake and make a reasonable effort to guide them back on to the correct path. At the moment the manual, while generally good, falls a step or so below this (admittedly high!) level.

umptious:
..And really, when problems like these are the only ones left to worry about, it's a sign you're doing extremely well!

r_avital:
Kudos for a very well written manual, very detailed.  Is Version r30107-110702 the latest?  How often does it get up dated?

torne:

--- Quote from: umptious on February 27, 2013, 09:30:50 AM ---I'm talking about the Fuze manual (hence the comment about the typo re. Fuze EQ) and I did not say that the manual did not tell the user which USB mode to use. What I said was that

- The manual does not tell you to select the player as a drive; yes you can only do in this in MSC mode, but that it is not the same as telling people this needs to be done

--- End quote ---
It does tell you this needs to be done, and also how to do it. See this section: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansafuze/rockbox-buildch2.html#x4-70002.1
Could this be improved? What do you suggest? We welcome improvements to the manual.

--- Quote ---- If you make a mistake with mode/selecting the player as the drive, the installer doesn't tell you, and that the manual does not warn of this behaviour

--- End quote ---
It's not always possible for the installer to detect this. We look at basic USB info for connected devices but that is not always sufficient to tell whether it's in MSC or MTP mode as some devices use the same IDs for both. I don't know whether this is the case for the Fuze or not, I don't have one. Many players don't have anything really distinctive that we can check for to know if the user has selected the right drive or not :(

It may be that we could do this better for the Fuze specifically, I don't know how the Sansas work; but in general this is difficult to solve.

Gaudeamos:
re. giving credit where credit is due...

I find the rb user interface natural and intuitive. For the most part I've found what I've needed by exploring rb's menu tree. At first I used the manual for 'getting started' kind of issues, but not since then.

For my most recent issue, I didn't find what I was looking for in the menus (it's there, I just didn't see it  :-\) I didn't find it in the manual either (likewise it is there...  ::). I found what I needed (in the manual!!!) soon after joining these forums.

There's a weak link here... but I just don't see it ...  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version