Support and General Use > Hardware

I am able to install, but unable to run RockBox on my iPod

(1/2) > >>

Alan Tochterman:
Hello:

I have an iPod 5th gen (30gb) updated with a 128gb ssd

My computer is an updated Mac Pro running OS Sonoma with OpenCore Legacy Patcher

I formatted the iPod using a friend's PC and did a complete restore in FAT32.

I downloaded the most recent version of RockBox for Mac, 3.15.1  (Whenever I open it, it tells me that a newer version is available.  Not sure why.)

I moved the app to my Applications folder.

In order to run the software I am using the following Terminal command (I found this on-line)

sudo /Applications/RockboxUtility.app/Contents/MacOS/RockboxUtility

I checked the boxes to download and install the bootloader, fonts, a few selected themes, and Plugin Data

The install program runs and finishes and indicates that I was successful.

When I attempt to boot the iPod, the Rockbox logo appears briefly, then the unit defaults to "No Partition found.  Insert USB cable and fix it."

When I go into Settings (In Apple Mode) it verifies that my iPod is set up for a Windows machine.

Attached, please find a screenshots of my iPods directory system.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Alan Tochterman

saratoga:
This probably means you don't have the FAT32 partitions setup correctly.  Did you actually restore in iTunes for Windows or just reformat as FAT32?  The latter won't work.  See:  https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodConversionToFAT32

Alan Tochterman:
Thank you for a response

Yes, I erased the iPod on my mac.  Then borrowed a friends PC with Windows 10 running.  I downloaded the most recent version of iTunes for Windows from the Apple website, (not Microsoft's).  Installed iTunes and then connected the iPod.  The error message appeared telling me that I had a Mac formatted iPod.  I then proceeded to do a complete restore. 

After I disconnected the iPod, I went into settings, then to about, scrolled to the bottom and it said that it was formatted for Windows. 

So I think I did everything right

saratoga:
It could also be related to the SSD not being recognized in rockbox.  Have you tried the latest development build?  Which SSD is it?

Alan Tochterman:
That is a good question.

I purchased the iPod with the SSD already installed.

Short of opening the box, I do not know if there is a way to see what it is.

Any suggestions ?

Do different brands of SSDs have different issues?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version