Rockbox General > Rockbox General Discussion

URGENT PLEASE HELP: Rockbox has broken my iPod

(1/1)

imreallyangryrightnow:
I've been trying to fix my iPod Classic 6th Gen (120GB) for the last few hours and NOTHING HAS WORKED  >:( >:( >:( >:( !!!!!! i am really angry.

I tried to install Rockbox, didn't work for about 1000000000 times, I can only remember a few of the error messages, one of them saying aborted at 99% because not enough storage, I triple checked everything and there was nothing wrong, then it said something about not finding the mount so I couldn't try to install it anymore, then I tried restoring it with iTunes, to which it said it couldn't because of an unknown error (very helpful). So then I tried just dragging the .rockbox files into the iPod storage device in file explorer, which somehow worked but then completeley destroyed everything. The screen won't turn on, the storage device doesn't show up in file explorer so I literally can't do anything. Sometimes rockbox turns on but it's just a shell of what it should be because I can't add files or anything (the only thing I can do is explore settings) but whenever I reboot it the screen just doesn't work, so I've basically gone to a fully functioning iPod to a paralysed shitPod which doesn't respond so anything. I've literally tried every combinational fix under the sun, restarting my windows pc 43899023892340 times, rebooting my iPod 849348934 times, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes 458903289054 times. NOTHING. FUCKING WORKS. Please someone help me I am so angry right now my iPod is basically bricked

saratoga:
Is this a stock hard drive or an SSD ?

rockbox_dev123:

--- Quote from: imreallyangryrightnow on October 27, 2023, 01:44:54 PM ---I've literally tried every combinational fix under the sun, restarting my windows pc 43899023892340 times, rebooting my iPod 849348934 times, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes 458903289054 times. NOTHING. FUCKING WORKS. Please someone help me I am so angry right now my iPod is basically bricked

--- End quote ---

I think you might have a mistaken comprehension of the word literally. You might try using figuratively in place instead.

I can recommend you take some deep breaths, and try not to become a source of anger or rage. It generally is ill advised to spew venom toward people who you would wish to help you out of their own free time and good will.

You may find some solace in the fact that is unlikely your iPod is broken beyond repair:

--- Quote from: Frankenpod on November 25, 2019, 06:03:35 AM ---It's almost impossible (maybe literally impossible) to brick an ipod by such software means, so you were panicking unnecessarily.  Ipods don't work that way.  The only time I've ever known it come close is when there's a physical hardware fault with the ipod (and even that one I eventually got working again).

Just missing the requirement to go into DFU mode doesn't do anything catastrophic.  Either restore with iTunes and start again, or even just reconnecting to PC and repeating the RB installation process would likely fix it.

Also, itunes will still restore ipod classics (I restored one just yesterday), at least on Windows.  I have heard that Mac iTunes has been completely revamped, so I don't know what the situation is there, but Windows iTunes has hardly changed.

Edit - good point though that it wouldn't surprise me if Apple eventually removes the support for restoring classics.  iTunes already can't restore the earliest iPod Touch model unless you get the relevant files from somewhere else. But I think the files for restoring the classic are already "out there" so it should be possible to get around that even if it happens.

--- End quote ---

fennectech:
If you check the current definition literally can mean figuratively.   
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
lit·er·al·ly
/ˈlidərəlē,ˈlitrəlē/
adverb
in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
"the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"
used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
"I was literally blown away by the response I got"

you will want to follow these steps to get into DFU mode.  It will show nothing on screen. Then plug it into iTunes.  It will reflash the firmware and reboot then you’ll want to restore it again with iTunes until you get the setup screen

https://youtu.be/Y_bIDtBohnE?si=ApvppTU7nW0YppgV

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version