Support and General Use > Hardware

Open source player?

<< < (2/5) > >>

speachy:

--- Quote from: amachronic on October 23, 2023, 04:55:03 PM ---The ESP32-S3 has 32 MB of virtual address space, however, which would be plenty.

--- End quote ---

Alas, the "not recommended for new designs" WROVER module in this proposed Tangara design only has a pair of LX6 cores, not the LX7s found in the -S3.

Trzyzet:

--- Quote from: speachy on October 23, 2023, 09:53:19 AM ---Use of PSRAM will yield a perforamance hit
--- End quote ---

In a perfect world SPI RAM speed is about 40MB/s, with larger files its even half that speed. I don't know if rockbox uses it but there is no DMA.

speachy:

--- Quote from: Trzyzet on October 24, 2023, 05:02:17 AM ---In a perfect world SPI RAM speed is about 40MB/s, with larger files its even half that speed. I don't know if rockbox uses it but there is no DMA.

--- End quote ---

PSRAM is handled completely transparently by the ESP32's memory controller (so DMA is a non-issue).  It's also 4-bit parallel (ie QSPI) that can clock up to 120MHz, and there's a cache in front of it.  Worst-case performance will be in random writes (and to a lesser extent reads), but larger bulk transfers can hit just shy of 60MB/s.  This doesn't seem like a lot, but consider that most code can be directly executed from flash (and the truly critical stuff can live in IRAM).

Trzyzet:
If it is like you describe I am happy with that. Everything I described in earlier post was my prepandemic experience with esp32.
I had 6 different modules and none of it was able to run with PSRAM clocks faster than 60MHz.

spaceship9876:
a possible player for $42: https://www.cnx-software.com/2023/11/16/lilygo-t-display-s3-pro-a-2-33-inch-esp32-s3-color-touchscreen-display-with-enclosure/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version