Rockbox General > Announcements

Upcoming Rockbox.org unavailability due to hosting drama

<< < (3/4) > >>

speachy:

--- Quote from: speachy on December 05, 2022, 03:50:44 PM ---I'll post more information as the plans solidify, but just keep in mind that we could go dark at any point until we're on new hosting.

--- End quote ---

I now have a new VPS arranged, with considerably more oomph that we had before.  Over the next few days I will get it set up, along with an initial data transfer, and when things are ready, I'll announce the downtime window for the final switchover.

(The new VPS is beefier than what we had before, and will provide us with plenty of room for growth)

speachy:

--- Quote from: speachy on December 05, 2022, 03:50:44 PM ---I'll post more information as the plans solidify, but just keep in mind that we could go dark at any point until we're on new hosting.

--- End quote ---

We've had a new host for a few weeks now, and I've been syncing it up every day.  What's left is to actually schedule a final switchover.

I currently intend to do this Christmas Day.  Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, most of which will be due to DNS delays.

speachy:
It's three months later than I'd hoped (yay, Life) but I'm _finally_ ready to perform the switchover to the new host.

So, this coming Sunday, March 26th, starting about 12:00PM (US Eastern Time) we're going to be offline for a couple of hours while I take things down, synchronize any remaining data, and wait for DNS to finish propagating.

The new VM has been running stably for three months, started from a complete snapshot of the current VM, and I've been keeping the data synchronized at least every few days (on top of the nightly backup of everything) so I expect overall downtime to be limited mostly to the time it takes to propogate DNS changes.

The new host will be paid for out of rockbox funds, and is about double the overall oomph of the current one.  And should be free of any drama.

I'll post a reminder closer to the date, but most folks will probably not even notice anything changing.

speachy:

--- Quote from: speachy on March 20, 2023, 07:12:49 PM ---I'll post a reminder closer to the date, but most folks will probably not even notice anything changing.

--- End quote ---

Again, as a FYI, rockbox.org will be completely offline for an hour or so starting 12pm US Eastern time on 2022-03-26.

I expect downtime to be less, actually -- the long pole will probably be DNS Propagation.

speachy:

--- Quote from: speachy on March 25, 2023, 05:59:41 PM ---Again, as a FYI, rockbox.org will be completely offline for an hour or so starting 12pm US Eastern time on 2022-03-26.
I expect downtime to be less, actually -- the long pole will probably be DNS Propagation.

--- End quote ---

If you're reading this, you're on the new server.

Everything went smoothly, at least on the rockbox side of things. 

(I got started late thanks to a network problem at home.  And now I can get back to dealing with that...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version