Support and General Use > User Interface and Voice

Shortcuts Menu Oddity(?)

<< < (2/2)

iPodVT:
Right - Pascal strings - a blast from the past term that I never would have remembered on my own.  I was a Mac applications programmer in the 1980s and 90s, and even though I worked in C, that era's Mac Toolbox as documented in the Inside Macintosh reference books was full of Pascal strings.

Re the Shortcuts Menu:  It's kind of ironically funny that I bumped up against a string length limit while trying to shorten Rockbox's verbose menu item name.

amachronic:
Increasing the name length to 64 bytes or more seems reasonable. Most targets aren't that memory constrained.

iPodVT:
Would the length have to be a power of 2?  A menu item name that is longer than 48 characters seems excessive to me, especially in the context of shortcuts, though that is just off the top of my head.

amachronic:
It doesn't need to be a power of two. But we're talking bytes, not characters. Non-English languages tend to have longer strings than English and use multibyte UTF-8 sequences, so it's worth having some extra wiggle room to accommodate them.

iPodVT:
Right, of course.  I was narrowly thinking only of english, and I totally forgot that some languages require multi-byte character sets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version