Installation / Removal > Other - Installation/Removal

Surfans F20 "NAND open error"

<< < (2/14) > >>

amachronic:
kaas - The F20 may have a different flash chip that isn't recognized. I'm happy to assist, but we need to figure out is what flash chip is used. If you are willing and able to take apart the player, that's the fastest way to find out. The other option is probing the flash in software, but that'll require a modified bootloader.

kaas:

--- Quote from: amachronic on May 29, 2022, 12:57:15 PM ---kaas - The F20 may have a different flash chip that isn't recognized. I'm happy to assist, but we need to figure out is what flash chip is used. If you are willing and able to take apart the player, that's the fastest way to find out. The other option is probing the flash in software, but that'll require a modified bootloader.

--- End quote ---
Thanks very much, I would prefer to go the software route as I'm not very comfortable taking it apart (don't even see any screws so it would probably involve at least some amount of breakage..). I assume in that case you can send me the required bootloader, and I'll run it with jztool?

Edit: I've since resolved my issue with the hosted port (see this bug), which was why I wanted to try the native port in the first place. So from my end, there's no particular hurry to get the native port working on my specific player. I'd still be glad to assist, though.

amachronic:

--- Quote from: kaas on May 29, 2022, 01:49:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: amachronic on May 29, 2022, 12:57:15 PM ---kaas - The F20 may have a different flash chip that isn't recognized. I'm happy to assist, but we need to figure out is what flash chip is used. If you are willing and able to take apart the player, that's the fastest way to find out. The other option is probing the flash in software, but that'll require a modified bootloader.

--- End quote ---
Thanks very much, I would prefer to go the software route as I'm not very comfortable taking it apart (don't even see any screws so it would probably involve at least some amount of breakage..). I assume in that case you can send me the required bootloader, and I'll run it with jztool?

Edit: I've since resolved my issue with the hosted port (see this bug), which was why I wanted to try the native port in the first place. So from my end, there's no particular hurry to get the native port working on my specific player. I'd still be glad to assist, though.

--- End quote ---

Okay, I added a flash info command to the bootloader, download link here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BgvDvGBKBSnWTDBHfE_uii3fjpSARqxt/view
(which is patch g#4566)

If you load that with jztool and select Debug tools > Flash info from the menu, it will dump some info to a file called flash_info.txt on the SD card. Copy & paste the file contents here. It'll show the ID bytes and some additional info - whether the chip is NAND or NOR and the page and block sizes. The probing method is basically the same as what the CPU does on boot to identify the flash, and it's read-only, so it should be safe. I also tested it on my players as a sanity check and it's working as expected.

kaas:
Here you go :)

--- Quote ---readID opcode  = FF EF AA 21
readID address = EF AA 21 00
readID dummy   = EF AA 21 00
sfc params0  = 06 05 04 03
sfc params1  = 02 55 AA 55
sfc params2  = 00 63 02 02
sfc params3  = A4 2F 00 00

--- End quote ---

amachronic:
Thanks, it appears to be a Winbond W25N01GV based on the ID bytes.

Here's an updated bootloader which supports that chip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zj8gq1G8DK-9581uVWq-9FmKXLlPuw5w/view?usp=sharing

This one has a "Flash ONFI info" option which you can run, paste the flash_onfi_info.txt file here. If the info matches up with the datasheet (8.2.27 Parameter Page Data Definitions) then we can be pretty confident the chip is correct. If you also take a normal bootloader backup and upload it somewhere, I can check that out to make sure it looks sane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version