Rockbox Development > Starting Development and Compiling

Issues setting up development environment

(1/1)

MyFairJulie:
Hey people,

as the title says i have trouble setting up my development environment. I have the idea of making a little Wordle game for iPods and started setting up the environment. I followed the Cygwin setup guide up to step 3 and am now stuck at step 2 in the Cross Compiler guide. I want to run the automatic setup script, but the script reports the following error messages:

--- Code: ---$ sh ./rockboxdev.sh
ROCKBOXDEV: "makeinfo" is required for this script to work.
ROCKBOXDEV: "automake" is required for this script to work.
ROCKBOXDEV: "libtool" is required for this script to work.
ROCKBOXDEV: "autoconf" is required for this script to work.
ROCKBOXDEV: "flex" is required for this script to work.
ROCKBOXDEV: "bison" is required for this script to work.
ROCKBOXDEV: Please install the missing tools and re-run the script.

--- End code ---

I didn't install these packages initially, so i reran the Cygwin setup to in order to open the package manager and install the packages. After doing that i ran the build script again but still received the same error messages.

How can i fix this issue?

Two important things:

* I was unable to install the tetex packages listed in the first guide. They simply weren't present in the package manager. I didn't think it's important since the tetex packages weren't referenced in the Cross compiler guide and i don't want to build rockbox itself.
* Can i alternatively use the VMware image? The instructions state that this machine is not well suited for Rockbox development but maybe it's still up-to-date enough for plugin development.

bluebrother:
Don't use Cygin. It's outdated, and I'm not aware of anyone using it anymore at all.

Use a Virtual Machine (VMware or Virtual Box shouldn't matter), install a Linux distro of your choice, and then install the required packages. These days you can also use WSL instead.

Latex is only needed if you want to work on the manual. If you don't want to do that you don't need it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version