Support and General Use > Audio Playback, Database and Playlists

File Browser not showing characters like ? and “

(1/2) > >>

Pommes:
Dear Forum,
I am using the file browser, but for some reason characters like ? and “ show as a square symbol.
Characters like -!,’ á work well and show right.
In playing screen all characters are shown well without any squares.
Can anybody explain this to me?
It is important, because the files and folders with the square do not queue from external generated m3u8, because rockbox does not find them. All other songs play well from these m3u8.
I transferred all the folders and files from Mac to ipod.

Thank you 

Frankenpod:
Are you saying the tracks have those characters in their file name or just in the track name in the tags?

On windows those characters are specifically not allowed in file names, so this doesn't arise for me.

Is it something to do with the use of FAT32?  I don't know how it works, but does anything using FAT32 necessarily share the same limitations on file-names as windows itself?

Frankenpod:
If it's a FAT32 limitation you may just have to rename those tracks to remove those particular characters.

bluebrother:

--- Quote from: Frankenpod on March 13, 2022, 09:29:42 PM ---Is it something to do with the use of FAT32?  I don't know how it works, but does anything using FAT32 necessarily share the same limitations on file-names as windows itself?

--- End quote ---

Yes.

While you theoretically could simply write them into the byte sequence holding the filename on disk this would violate the FAT spec, and as such cause problems on various systems. So you can't.

I don't know what MacOS is doing exactly here, but if you have those characters in filenames it has to change them when copying those file to a FAT volume. I wouldn't be surprised if MacOS replaced it with a different Unicode character that looks identical, and also did that on its own APFS / HFS+. For ? this could be U+FF1F: https://unicode-table.com/en/FF1F/ Since this is not a ? character (and rarely used) Rockbox fonts are unlikely to support that.

The safest thing is to generally not used such characters in filenames. They end up causing problems in other places too.

Pommes:
Thank you very much, this answered my question perfectly.
To solve my problem I replaced the following characters
/ ? < > \ : * | " with this character  -   in the tags itself.
After that I used DBpoweramp to rearrange all music.

Some days ago I ran into another problem:
Mac OS uses utf8 Mac encoding, which is different to regular utf 8.
For example á in utf8 Mac is actually 2 characters, while in regular utf 8 it is one character.
So RockBox did not play those files, because my playlists are generated under macOS.

A friend of mine wrote a Mac application, which transforms the playlist from UTF-8 Mac to UTF-8.
He also included a simple find and replace mechanism into the app, so I can modify the paths in the playlist.

I asked him, and he is willing to share it here in this community.
Is anybody interested, and is it allowed to post a link to this app, maybe somebody could host it here on this RockBox forum?
Please let me know.
Thank you very much

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version