Support and General Use > Hardware

iPod Video 5.5 Audio Quality

(1/1)

Outland:
Hello,

This is my first post, I hope I am in the right place. Let me know if I'm not.

I've been trying out the wonderful Rockbox on my iPod Video these past few days, and it is amazing. I've noticed that audio output, with ALAC (16/44.1), sounds noticeably clearer through Rockbox. Apple's firmware plays the same files a little muffled. I was wondering if there is a technical reason for this? Does Rockbox utilize the Wolfson chip in a different manner compared to Apple's firmware? I would imagine the audio output should be identical between Rockbox and Apple's firmware with the same files and all filters turned off.

As a side note, I listen to a lot of lossless classical music and Apple's firmware, no matter what I did, would always occasionally skip/pause for a few seconds on the hard drive players, with the player sitting completely still. There are mentions of this online, but I think most people just didn't care about the ~2 seconds every 3 hours or so. This has been completely resolved with Rockbox. Fantastic!!

saratoga:
Shouldn't be any difference if you turn off all effects and EQ.

Outland:
I clearly hear a difference. I spent some time going back and forth. It applies to all files I have tried (all ALAC 16/44.1). It is especially evident in the highs, the sound is clearer. All effects and equalizers are off.

Here is an old thread with a similar observation.

saratoga:

--- Quote from: Outland on January 04, 2022, 06:51:29 PM ---I clearly hear a difference. I spent some time going back and forth. It applies to all files I have tried (all ALAC 16/44.1). It is especially evident in the highs, the sound is clearer. All effects and equalizers are off.

--- End quote ---

Test with RMAA and post the results here.

--- Quote from: Outland on January 04, 2022, 06:51:29 PM ---Here is an old thread with a similar observation.

--- End quote ---

That was a few weeks after audio was enabled on the ipod video.  Not much was working in those days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version