Support and General Use > Theming and Appearance Customization

Font with CJK support in size >18 needed

(1/1)

keyb_gr:
Hello folks,

here's my problem - Santa brought me a FiiO M3K this year, in hopes of being able to update my aging Clip+ fleet. Now I am in dire need of a font that I can comfortably read (with old age creeping up on me, even myopia ain't what it used to be, and let's just say my nickname never was Eagle-Eye Cherry) while supporting Japanese in particular. I am making do with 18-Fixed-Bold now, just about - size 22 or 24 would be more like it.

I tried just about every font pack listed for download... the antialiased Unifont package turned out to be on a private Google Drive, so if that were to help an alternative download link would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

keyb_gr:
On a side note, the on-screen keyboard and graphical EQ are even more borderline unreadable on this player (it was uncomfortable enough on the Clip+ display, now we're talking more guessing than reading). Some debug screens require a microscope. I do have to wonder whether it wouldn't be a good idea to define a sensible default font depending on player model, size 8 really isn't cutting it (and it's not like we're talking super high PPI with 240x320 on 2").

And just because I happened to notice it, a saved sound config contains neither the volume limit setting nor the channel config nor the EQ. It does actually makes sense if you are loading the former two via headphone-specific custom configs and the latter via EQ presets, so I guess that's intentional.

amachronic:
Unfortunately I don't know any good CJK fonts for Rockbox, but you could convert your own using the convttf command line utility, which is in the Rockbox Git repository. I played around with it a bit -- it's somewhat hit and miss but it works well on many fonts, at least for ASCII.

Here are some Windows builds, if you're interested:

rockbox-font-tools-win32.zip (32 bit)
rockbox-font-tools-win64.zip (64 bit)

This functionality seems like it would be useful in the Rockbox utility - but for the time being I'll just put those tools on the wiki.

As for the tiny fonts in places, it's a known problem. All the debug menus are hardcoded to use an 8px font (for historical reasons) and changing them to work with arbitrary fonts is hardly worth the hassle, at least for most menus - they're rarely used. The keyboard has support to use other fonts, but there is no setting to change it. I should be able to add that easily enough, though.

keyb_gr:

--- Quote from: amachronic on December 27, 2021, 12:56:26 PM ---Unfortunately I don't know any good CJK fonts for Rockbox, but you could convert your own using the convttf command line utility, which is in the Rockbox Git repository. I played around with it a bit -- it's somewhat hit and miss but it works well on many fonts, at least for ASCII.

Here are some Windows builds, if you're interested:

rockbox-font-tools-win32.zip (32 bit)
rockbox-font-tools-win64.zip (64 bit)
--- End quote ---
Oh, you bet I am! :) Set to work using the GNU Unifont ttf, which gave me an unusably condensed result at first, but I figured it out. The help screen text for the -c and -r options in convttf seems to be incorrect and  actually reversed, -c seems to adjust horizontal character spacing and -r line spacing.

I settled on -p 24 with either -c 2 or -c 2 -r 2. Not the prettiest font (and obviously rather massive in file size at 11-12 megs) but it works for now, CJK included. Next I guess I'll be going down the rabbit hole of merging two TTFs... (Oh, and wrangling themes.)

Oh, and redirecting console output to the NUL device will make the conversion go a lot faster. As in, an order of magnitude or two. At least on this Win10 machine.

--- Quote from: amachronic on December 27, 2021, 12:56:26 PM ---As for the tiny fonts in places, it's a known problem. All the debug menus are hardcoded to use an 8px font (for historical reasons) and changing them to work with arbitrary fonts is hardly worth the hassle, at least for most menus - they're rarely used.
--- End quote ---
Oh well. (If it's not done right the first time, it may never be done right...) It wouldn't even have to be arbitrary fonts, just some you can actually read!

--- Quote from: amachronic on December 27, 2021, 12:56:26 PM --- The keyboard has support to use other fonts, but there is no setting to change it. I should be able to add that easily enough, though.
--- End quote ---
That would be sweet. Ideally, just use the current default font.

I checked out a number of plugins, and the situation seems to be a mixed bag there. Lots of them will actually use the current default font, with remaining offenders being:
metronome
rockpaint (how tf do you exit this?!)
vu_meter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version