Installation / Removal > Rockbox Utility

I bought an IPOD that had Rockbox, but I screwed it up

(1/1)

Brownlauralee:
I bought an IPOD that had rockbox but did something wrong.  I reformatted using ITUNES and went through the installation steps myself.  The install was NOT successful.  My computer recognized two drives for the IPOD.  One says it needs formatting and the other appears to be only the original IPOD set up.  The IPOD screen shows the following and the installation stopped at 99%:

Rockbox Boot loader
Version 1.0
Battery status ok: 4146 mV
Loading Rockbox.....
Errpr!
Can't load Rockbox.ipod
File not found

Entering USB mode
Bootloader USB mode

Brownlauralee:
I may have made some progress on this.  I still cannot get the IPOD to load rockbox, but the error is gone and the file menu now shows a rockbox folder.  I still can't start rockbox, but I now have a folder and no error message.  When I hard reset the IPOD it just loads back to the IPOD language selection screen.

Bilgus:
I think you just need to mount the device and unzip the rockbox firmware onto the device the whole zip file

Grab a dev version if you haven't already

I'm sure someone that uses an ipod will be along
eventually if you don't get it figured out

saratoga:
I think the first time you installed the bootloader but not rockbox.  The second time it looks like you installed rockbox but not the bootloader.  You need to install both at the same time or its not going to work. 

bluebrother:

--- Quote from: saratoga on December 11, 2021, 01:41:06 PM ---I think the first time you installed the bootloader but not rockbox.  The second time it looks like you installed rockbox but not the bootloader.  You need to install both at the same time or its not going to work. 

--- End quote ---

Actually, you need to install both, but if you only install the bootloader (what you did initially) you can install the main Rockbox binary without reinstalling the bootloader -- Rockbox will go into bootloader USB mode, and that can be used to put the remaining files on it.

That being said, I'm wondering if the Ipod you selected is actually the Ipod you have. Your 1st screenshot doesn't show any error, just the "normal" user interaction required to install the bootloader on the Ipod 6G. And if the computer isn't recognizing the Ipod properly I'd try (1) using a different USB cables, (2) using a different USB port, and (3) if Rockbox runs disable it's USB HID mode.

Also, if you're having issues with Rockbox Utility it much more helpful to post the system trace (Help / Troubleshooting / System Trace) than screenshots since it tells us a lot more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version