Rockbox Development > New Ports

Sandisk Clip Jam

(1/1)

yugnut:
Hello all!

First time poster here to the forums.

After doing some lurking I see that some newer sandisk models of MP3 players are marked as unable to port due to the "hardware being too constrained". I absolutely believe everyone's opinion as I'm very very new to porting software to hardware that shouldn't run it, my question however, how exactly is it constrained? From my lurking I found a few explanations stating that the virtual memory would be an issue quoting that the MMU wouldn't be able to keep up with rockbox or something similar to that. If that's the case it isn't a matter of getting code to execute as much as memory management? If so does anyone have a number on memory available to play with?

That being said I would love to dive into this as a pet project but want to know if it really is as hopeless as some users make it out to be on the forums.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

saratoga:

--- Quote --- I absolutely believe everyone's opinion as I'm very very new to porting software to hardware that shouldn't run it, my question however, how exactly is it constrained
--- End quote ---

Only has ~128KB of RAM, or about 1/16th as much as required to boot rockbox.  Use search, there are many threads on this.  No need to start another.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version