Rockbox Development > New Ports

Shanling Q1

(1/21) > >>

amachronic:
Well, I know I said I wasn't gonna do this, but some users here on the forum were asking about a Shanling Q1 port which got me to investigate the "trick" to run scripts on its OF... in the end I found out a bit more information than I originally intended!

I've made some headway disassembling the Q1's Linux kernel, and probably identified most of the important hardware components. I haven't done much on the "hosted" side of things 'cause it's not easy to get an interactive shell on the player. For anybody interested I posted my current findings on the wiki, https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/ShanlingQ1Port.

Long story short, it looks like a native port would be pretty easy. All the hard/tedious parts were implemented with the FiiO M3K port. The main downside with a native port is that wifi/bluetooth will probably never work in Rockbox. With a hosted port we at least have a chance of wrapping the OF kernel's functionality with menus, and if Shanling's kernel is well done then tbh there may not be much benefit to a native port. In the short term I'll probably just keep checking out the hardware/software and find out if the OF kernel has any serious shortcomings.

I emailed Shanling and asked them nicely if they'd release their Linux kernel sources for the greater good of Rockbox. I'm not expecting much on that front, but who knows? They might just help us out, it's at least worth asking.

There is one other annoyance -- the Q1's screen resolution is 360x400, which isn't used by any other Rockbox player. So there's no ready-made themes for it, even Cabbie will need to be ported.

I'd like to hear opinions about wireless support... making a wild guess, given Rockbox's "target audience" maybe I'm not the only user who doesn't care much for it.

Milardo:

--- Quote from: amachronic on May 23, 2021, 07:52:49 PM ---Well, I know I said I wasn't gonna do this, but some users here on the forum were asking about a Shanling Q1 port which got me to investigate the "trick" to run scripts on its OF... in the end I found out a bit more information than I originally intended!

I've made some headway disassembling the Q1's Linux kernel, and probably identified most of the important hardware components. I haven't done much on the "hosted" side of things 'cause it's not easy to get an interactive shell on the player. For anybody interested I posted my current findings on the wiki, https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/ShanlingQ1Port.

Long story short, it looks like a native port would be pretty easy. All the hard/tedious parts were implemented with the FiiO M3K port. The main downside with a native port is that wifi/bluetooth will probably never work in Rockbox. With a hosted port we at least have a chance of wrapping the OF kernel's functionality with menus, and if Shanling's kernel is well done then tbh there may not be much benefit to a native port. In the short term I'll probably just keep checking out the hardware/software and find out if the OF kernel has any serious shortcomings.

I emailed Shanling and asked them nicely if they'd release their Linux kernel sources for the greater good of Rockbox. I'm not expecting much on that front, but who knows? They might just help us out, it's at least worth asking.

There is one other annoyance -- the Q1's screen resolution is 360x400, which isn't used by any other Rockbox player. So there's no ready-made themes for it, even Cabbie will need to be ported.

I'd like to hear opinions about wireless support... making a wild guess, given Rockbox's "target audience" maybe I'm not the only user who doesn't care much for it.

--- End quote ---

A different port, but I'm interested in bluetooth support, is anybody still working on that feature, would like to use it on agptek rocker.

Telehubis:
More devices is always a good thing!

But what about that touch screen; is that supported?

7o9:
Very nice, looking forward to your progress.

The Shanling app is not bad but compared to RockBox it feels incredibly limited. A hosted version would not be bad at all though native works great on the FiiO M3K.

The wireless functionality is not needed for me, I have always only ever used it with wired buds. The wifi functionality that was added in the latest official firmware feels more like a 'because we can' feature than actually useful.

@Telehubis: Seems the touchscreen is using the same controller as the touchstrip on the M3K so it will probably work similar too.

speachy:

--- Quote from: amachronic on May 23, 2021, 07:52:49 PM ---I'd like to hear opinions about wireless support... making a wild guess, given Rockbox's "target audience" maybe I'm not the only user who doesn't care much for it.

--- End quote ---

WiFi probably isn't going to ever happen.  The Q1 uses an SDIO-attached broadcom b43xx.  It's not clear if it's a softmac or fullmac part, but either way writing a native driver for that chip is a major undertaking in its own right.  Not to mention potentially writing an 802.11 stack plus coming up with network-enabled applications and usecases.

Bluetooth is a lot simpler at the "driver" level, but we're faced with having to write a stack from scratch or port the likes of bluez/bluedroid, another substantial undertaking. At least that stack would be usable for our other BT-supporting targets...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version