Installation / Removal > Rockbox Utility

iPod Mount Point errors

<< < (2/6) > >>

bluebrother:

--- Quote from: Cahl on February 24, 2021, 02:19:02 AM ---Your third suggestion doesn't make sense to me. I've looked through the Troubleshooting section (page 20 of the manual) and its quite brief. Are you referring to somewhere else that has a troubleshooting section? I've looked into what it means to be FAT and I would kindly request to receive more rudimentary guidance, as I cannot make heads or tails of it. The language everyone is using is too technical for me. Do I need a PC to convert to FAT?

--- End quote ---

I'm talking about the entry in the menu bar of Rockbox Utility, not the manual. On MacOS this appears at the top of the screen, not the window (as in the screenshots)

Any disk (regardless if it's a hard disk, flash disk or anything else) needs a filesystem to organize files. Several file systems exist. On Ipods both HFS+ and FAT are possible, but Rockbox only supports FAT. FAT is common on Windows, HFS is only used on Mac. If your Ipod was only used on a Mac there's a good chance it's HFS. You can convert that on a Mac at least for older Ipods, but that's a rather involved process. Easiest way is to use Itunes on Windows.

For more details on filesystems see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system#macOS

Thew:
On your Mac launch the “Disk Utility” and highlight your iPod in the list on the left. Click “Erase” which enables you to Format the iPod. A drop down Menu will appear with a list of Disk Formats available. On the list should be “MS-DOS(FAT)". You can then decide if you want to format the iPod.

bluebrother:

--- Quote from: Thew on February 24, 2021, 03:37:29 AM ---On your Mac launch the “Disk Utility” and highlight your iPod in the list on the left. Click “Erase” which enables you to Format the iPod. A drop down Menu will appear with a list of Disk Formats available. On the list should be “MS-DOS(FAT)". You can then decide if you want to format the iPod.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

At least on the Ipods up to 5.5G you also need to change the partition table. I have no experience with the 6G but expect this to be the same. The manual way is usually by overwriting the partition table with a known one.

philden:
I have found that it is much easier to install Rockbox on an iPod Classic using Windows rather than MacOS. So you can make a Bootcamp installation of Windows 10, just to use iTunes and the Rockbox installer. You can download Windows 10 freely from Microsoft to do this.

Cahl:
So I checked the troubleshooting section. In it, I found my ipod under "Attached USB Devices", labeled like this:
VID: 05ac PID: 1261, Apple Inc. iPod.

Below, it states the following for Mount Point, Label, Cluster Size etc.

/Volumes/Cahl’s iPod
Cahl's iPod
0.00 GiB
0.00 GiB

Still completely lost, and still no idea if I can accomplish this without a mac.
Next steps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version