Installation / Removal > Rockbox Utility

iPod Mount Point errors

(1/6) > >>

Cahl:
Hi there.

I am trying to install Rockbox on a 6G classic, using Mac OSx. I keep getting stopped when I attempt to select it in the utility. An error reads "No Mount Point given // You need to fix the above errors to continue". I cannot figure out what that means, or how to fix it. I've extensively searched and read through forums that date back over a decade. I cannot believe how elusive this information is. There are people who have asked this question in the past, and the responses have been: "Just re-set the mount point" or "Download the correct partition table and set your ipod to fat32" or "Look in the 260-page manual, it says what to do."

I have looked through the 260-page manual. I still can't figure out the problem. Is it possible for me to accomplish this without being programmer or possessing a degree in computer science? Is there anyone out there who can explain this in language that I can understand?

I don't think I'm particular stupid, and do know a thing or two about computers. But this is hands down the most convoluted and un-user-friendly software I've ever touched. Would love some help.

bluebrother:
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GraphicalInstall

Cahl:
The link you shared says: "you need to choose the correct mountpoint (Windows: drive letter) from the dropdown list and the correct player. The dropdown list will show additional information when expanded to help you to identify the correct player."

The dropdown they are referring to is blank. There are no options and thus nothing to select.

bluebrother:

--- Quote from: Cahl on February 24, 2021, 01:04:00 AM ---The dropdown they are referring to is blank. There are no options and thus nothing to select.

--- End quote ---

Now the question changes from "what is the mountpoint" to "why is the list empty".

There are several possible reasons for this.
- The player is not mounted (i.e. doesn't show up in Finder)
- Itunes blocks access to it. Make sure it's closed.
- It's filtered out because it isn't compatible. This usually happens when the Ipod uses the wrong filesystem. Check the output of Help / Troubleshooting / System Info for its type. It needs to be FAT (iirc appears as "msdos" on Mac)

Cahl:
here are several possible reasons for this.
- The player is not mounted (i.e. doesn't show up in Finder)
- Itunes blocks access to it. Make sure it's closed.
- It's filtered out because it isn't compatible. This usually happens when the Ipod uses the wrong filesystem. Check the output of Help / Troubleshooting / System Info for its type. It needs to be FAT (iirc appears as "msdos" on Mac)

So the player definitely appears in finder. iTunes recognizes it and opens when ipod is plugged in, and I always shut it down, as instructed.

Your third suggestion doesn't make sense to me. I've looked through the Troubleshooting section (page 20 of the manual) and its quite brief. Are you referring to somewhere else that has a troubleshooting section? I've looked into what it means to be FAT and I would kindly request to receive more rudimentary guidance, as I cannot make heads or tails of it. The language everyone is using is too technical for me. Do I need a PC to convert to FAT?

Thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version