Installation / Removal > Rockbox Utility

Unable to remount

(1/1)

Maharg:
I have a a iPod classic (6th gen I believe) with a flash quad drive holding 4, 400gb SD cards.

Everything was working great until one day, I received an error message on the iPod and a white screen. It hasn't ever worked again since. During the installation processes, I run into the same issue when trying to install the bootloader. When its asks to hold the buttons on the iPod itself until it goes dead, I release when it states, but the iPod never "remounts" in the software. My computer itself does recognize a remount, but it asks me to reformat the drive. The rockbox software then states to manually remount or abort and i cant get it to move past this spot. This was after using iTunes to restore to factory reset, I even purchased new SD cards as I thought my old ones were bricked and were the issue. I am basically starting from scratch, I even put in a new flash quad deal thinking that was the issue. I am truly stumped. I have tried manually partitioning the cards as well, per a video on YouTube. Nothing.

tgmondalf:
I had a similar problem today...

I have an iPod 6th Gen that was working perfectly for several months and then suddenly gave 'no partition found' error and when I connect it to the Rockbox installer it says 'no mountpoint'.

Desperately need help trying to fix this as well as I have a very large music library and have spent a lot of time updating tags and such and now I'm afraid it's all lost!

speachy:
Sounds like there was a failure in one of the SD cards or the iflash adapter itself.

All I can suggest is try booting directly into the original apple firmware's disk mode, and plug that into the PC.   If that dosn't work, then you're SOL.

(BTW, google "raid 0 reliability" sometime...)

Frankenpod:
@Maharg

I can only say that having made an excessive number of Iflash Ipods, I'm pretty sure I remember encountering exactly the same sequence of errors as you describe at some point.  It's hard to recall because the whole process of getting iFlash mods to work remains very mysterious to me, I've had all sorts of strange problems come up (e.g. two particular memory cards where either would work on their own, or when paired with different cards, but which refused to work together in the same ipod, or another ipod which works perfectly well with the one quirk that if you 'reboot' it just turns off and then you have to press another key to turn it on again), and in most cases the problems eventually get resolved but I can rarely figure out what I did that changed things.  I must have eventually solved the problem you describe because I don't have an ipod that has that problem now and yet I know I did at one point! (and I haven't thrown any away!)

So I reckon if you can face the effort it's worth persevering, and going back to the beginning and reformatting all the cards with a card-reader.  Maybe even let windows reformat the ipod when it asks and see if you can proceed from there.

There seem to be many different faults that can be hard to distinguish from each other.

For example, a failure to reboot can be because of a problem with the click-wheel (so it's not picking up the reboot keypress correctly).  Or with the battery (one battery I had seemed to be cutting out whenever the ipod tried to restart - possibly because the pressure involved in pressing the buttons to reboot affected the battery cable - even though it seemed to be working the rest of the time).

Also a bad iflash/hdd cable can cause problems, you could try changing that.

@tgmondalf

Not a helpful thing to say at this point, but it seems a very bad idea to have unique data only on an ipod (or memory card).

bluebrother:

--- Quote from: tgmondalf on February 18, 2021, 03:36:54 PM ---I had a similar problem today...

I have an iPod 6th Gen that was working perfectly for several months and then suddenly gave 'no partition found' error and when I connect it to the Rockbox installer it says 'no mountpoint'.

Desperately need help trying to fix this as well as I have a very large music library and have spent a lot of time updating tags and such and now I'm afraid it's all lost!

--- End quote ---

How is this related to the original "unable to remount" issue? As far as I understand you already have Rockbox running, and that "unable to remount" can only appear during bootloader installation. Doesn't sound like you tried to install the bootloader. Also, is your Ipod modded at all? You haven't said anything about this. For unrelated issues please don't hijack threads but start a new one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version