Installation / Removal > Rockbox Utility

Installing on Catalina

(1/2) > >>

justanotherperson:
Hi so just found out about Rockbox and did a bit of searching and trying before signing up to ask.

So I found in another post links to a version which I can open in Catalina. The only problem is when clicking install the whole program just quits. Is this a common issue? Couldn't find much about it.

It's a 7th Gen iPod classic

philden:
My experience is that it is very difficult to install Rockbox on a 7th Gen iPod Classic using MacOS. It is very easy under Windows. You should be able to set up Windows 10 under bootcamp to to this. That is what I did, and you can just download a free Windows installer from Microsoft to do so. You don't need to buy a Windows license for sufficient functionality to install Rockbox.

bluebrother:

--- Quote from: justanotherperson on February 07, 2021, 02:02:40 PM ---So I found in another post links to a version which I can open in Catalina. The only problem is when clicking install the whole program just quits. Is this a common issue? Couldn't find much about it.
--- End quote ---

Please be more specific on '"just quits". How does that look like? What are you doing to get there? It runs fine for me on Catalina, though I don't have an Ipod 7G so can't check that one.

Also, Rockbox Utility saves a trace of its internal state. After that issue appeared, start it again, go to Help / Troubleshooting / System Info, then use the "save previous" button. This will save the trace of the previous run to a file. Post the contents of the file to pastebin or similar.

chris_s:
Isn't Rockbox Utility still a 32bit-app (as of v. 1.4.0) ? On Big Sur, at least, I'm unable to launch it for that reason. Catalina also supports 64bit apps only, as far as I'm aware.

While older versions of MacOS should be able to run the app, in my experience you need to launch Contents/MacOS/RockboxUtility inside the app bundle using sudo from the Terminal (i.e. with elevated rights), as Rockbox Utility will otherwise not work as expected.

chris_s:
I see now that there's apparently a newer development build that I wasn't aware of.. sorry about that https://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,53588.msg247049.html#msg247049

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version