Rockbox Development > New Ports

AIGO EROS Q / AIGO EROS K / IRULU Surfans F20 / AGPTek H3 / HIFI WALKER H2

<< < (23/26) > >>

Falco98:

--- Quote from: dconrad on May 23, 2022, 11:32:44 AM ---It sounds like you're on the hosted port rather than the native port, is that right? if you installed with the pre-patched firmware version, that is the hosted port. Does the Rockbox/OF select screen come up every time you boot the player?
--- End quote ---
Yes, and yes (as far as I understand the difference between hosted / native; all my other RB devices have been too old to offer such a distinction).  To confirm, the selection screen does come up every time it powers on.

As far as the song I tried: it's an Ogg Vorbis file, encoded in a standard way; I tried to start it from the file browser.  I only loaded a single album to the device for testing reasons, though I can load more and see if other formats act differently.  No particular special characters, etc.

Edit: tried with FLAC and MP3 albums and both work.  So, so far it's just the Ogg Vorbis (standard encoding, Q5) that produces the segfault.  I'll try with some other albums and encodings and see if the error seems to follow anything in particular.  Sorry for not troubleshooting more first, lol.

Edit 2: ok, now i feel silly.  I removed the baked-in album art from the album in question and it no longer SegFaults.  The only difference between the art on this album and most others is that it's like 1400px square - I only left it in because it came with that one by default.  Most other times I swap out for a 500 or 600 pixel square version.  And of course it's useless in Rockbox anyway since it doesn't even observe embedded album art in flac/vorbis files -_-

The funniest part?  If I extract the troublesome album art and put it in the album folder (in the standard convention of "folder.jpg" etc), it works fine in Rockbox and even displays.  So it's not even as if it's a corrupt image file or anything.  Goofy.  But I assume it's just a quirk and I just had the bad luck of trying this one first, lol.

dconrad:
Ok, sounds good, thanks for narrowing it down. It doesn't sound like something device-specific if it's only ogg vorbis format files. One other sanity-check thing is, is this an old SD card? You could try overwriting your .rockbox folder - I had once or twice where a really cheap SD card actually corrupted the .rockbox folder right off the bat and I had weird crashing issues. Maybe try a good, name brand SD card you trust and see if the issue is still present.

Falco98:

--- Quote from: dconrad on May 23, 2022, 06:14:22 PM ---Ok, sounds good, thanks for narrowing it down. It doesn't sound like something device-specific if it's only ogg vorbis format files. One other sanity-check thing is, is this an old SD card? You could try overwriting your .rockbox folder - I had once or twice where a really cheap SD card actually corrupted the .rockbox folder right off the bat and I had weird crashing issues. Maybe try a good, name brand SD card you trust and see if the issue is still present.

--- End quote ---
Sorry - I added some further info in edits to my last reply above.  TL;DR is it ended up being that Rockbox is choking on embedded album art in one particular Ogg album with an unusually large-resolution cover image (though the image's filesize is only 290kb).

The "Cheap SD card" thing is an interesting thought too - I'm actually using the 32gb card that comes preinstalled in the F20 - I didn't even take it out yet to verify what brand it allegedly is.  But now that I have things working otherwise I'm assuming that isn't the particular issue I'm experiencing here.

dconrad:
Good to hear you got it sorted out. To be honest, trying to load a too-big image file really shouldn't cause it to segfault like that. But, sometimes that's reality.

I don't think I have any ogg vorbis files at the moment, but I definitely use FLAC files with embedded art, so that should work. It is important to make sure that the art is a basic jpg rather than a progressive jpg or png, and like you say, a reasonable size - I think I use 700x700 usually.

Falco98:

--- Quote from: dconrad on May 24, 2022, 11:11:30 AM ---To be honest, trying to load a too-big image file really shouldn't cause it to segfault like that. But, sometimes that's reality.
--- End quote ---
I'd've thought so myself.  I'll check later if I can reproduce the same issue with a "blank" ogg file with the same album art, and if so I can attach it here for any interested parties to look into.

--- Quote ---I don't think I have any ogg vorbis files at the moment, but I definitely use FLAC files with embedded art, so that should work.
--- End quote ---
Can you confirm?  AFAIK none of my "vorbisComment" type files (flac or ogg) currently work in Rockbox with embedded art.  As the vorbisComment spec doesn't "officially" support it (last i checked, i guess?), I assumed it was not yet supported in RB.  The only one I was sure would work was MP3.

--- Quote ---It is important to make sure that the art is a basic jpg rather than a progressive jpg or png, and like you say, a reasonable size - I think I use 700x700 usually.

--- End quote ---
I'm used to this constraint, having been using RB on color targets since the Ipod 5.5gen became stable years-and-years ago :)
I checked the extracted art file for the one that seems to have caused the seg fault, and it's not progressive, at least.  Not only that, but when I placed it separately in the music folder (alongside files no longer containing the image), it works in rockbox.  Go figure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version