Support and General Use > User Interface and Voice

Viewing entire comments tag in MP3s

<< < (3/4) > >>

chris_s:

--- Quote from: Frankenpod on March 02, 2021, 10:18:00 PM ---(Not all ipod videos have 64MB, the 30gb models I believe have 32MB
--- End quote ---
I guess you're right. Was just going by what Rockbox had defined for the model.

--- Quote from: Frankenpod on March 02, 2021, 10:18:00 PM ---I notice the change chris_s found says " Limit the size of each ID3 metadata item to avoid that the metadata buffer is filled by single items"
Does that mean there's a specific, defined "metadata buffer" that would need to be increased in size?

--- End quote ---
ID3V2_BUF_SIZE is currently 900 bytes (for memory sizes > 2 MB) and needs to fit all of the tags. So you may need to increase that as well.

chris_s:

--- Quote from: Frankenpod on March 02, 2021, 10:18:00 PM ---If I can get my "development environment" working again (on my linux box with the dodgy hard-drive!) I will try compiling a version with that number boosted a bit (where MEMORYSIZE>8MB), and see if it works/makes a difference.

--- End quote ---
It's been changed in the latest daily build if you want to check it out.

Frankenpod:
Thanks - good work, provisionally it seems to be working.

Modified my theme to make use of it and it _seems_to work.  Having an unrelated problem in demonstrating that it works, as the simulator is not up to date so I can only test it on the ipod itself - and for some reason I can't seem to get the 'take a screenshot' feature to actually do what it's supposed to (and take a screenshot of the comment being displayed).  But it seems to be working as it's supposed to, with no side-effects noticed so far.

OK, got a screenshot (still slightly truncated for this one, but a lot better than before)

(the full comment is:
"In the waning days of China's Qing Empire, a riot broke out in Changsha, the capital of Hunan Province. After two years of flooding, a starving woman had drowned herself in desperation after an unscrupulous merchant refused to sell her food at a price she could afford. Three days of rioting followed during which symbols of Qing power were destroyed by an angry mob, which then turned its sights on Changsha's Western compound. Historians have long assumed the mob was controlled by the landed gentry, but as nearly every dictator knows, a crowd has a mind of its own.  James Joshua Hudson, Visiting Assistant Professor of History at Knox College, describes the riots and some surprising finds he made conducting fieldwork in Hunan that offer a glimpse into the deeply layered tensions on the eve of the downfall of the Qing dynasty." - so I guess that's about 230 characters short, still...but I guess it might be too risky to increase the space allocated any further?  Will test this version for a while and see if there's any issue with memory capacity)

chris_s:
The patch I proposed changed the total id3v2 buffer size to 1800 bytes and the max size for individual items to 500 bytes. There wasn't any deep thought behind choosing those exact values though. I'm not aware of any reason you couldn't increase that even further, if necessary, e.g. change the max item size to 800 bytes. You could probably leave the total buffer size unchanged in that case, since the likelihood of another tag being that long and filling the buffer, seems low. Idk, someone tell me if they disagree, bilgus, speachy?

Bilgus:
where does it end 1000 char comments or 1000 megs?

IDK after that maybe make a chunking display in the theme engine?

or just call it good enough for most cases

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version