Support and General Use > Plugins/Viewers

Rockboy for iPod Nano (1st Gen)

(1/2) > >>

rogueKlyntar:
*This is my first post and I do not know 99% of the technical terms used so plz bear with me.*

- Does making multiple saves cause a drop in framerate? If so, how can I delete unwanted saves?

- Are there plans to add a feature allowing you to switch the A and B buttons? I am playing Zelda DX and have reached a point where I need to hold down the B button (a scroll wheel button) but it doesn't work; only the A (center) button can be held down. If I could temporarily switch the functions of the center and scrollwheel buttons that would be great. (Idk if Rockbox is open-source or not; if not, sorry)

- Can sb explain why Rockbox can allow you to play Doom or Duke Nukem but not a relatively simple GBA game like Zelda: Minish Cap or Link to the Past? I understand Spyro:Attack of the Rhynocs would be too much for the hardware, but TLoZ is rather simple, isn't it? An even simpler game would be Pokemon; Fire Red and Leaf Green are virtually identical to Red and Green or whatever the originals are.

saratoga:

--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on April 30, 2020, 10:03:40 PM ---- Does making multiple saves cause a drop in framerate? If so, how can I delete unwanted saves?

--- End quote ---

No, they shouldn't matter.

--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on April 30, 2020, 10:03:40 PM ---- Are there plans to add a feature allowing you to switch the A and B buttons? I am playing Zelda DX and have reached a point where I need to hold down the B button (a scroll wheel button) but it doesn't work; only the A (center) button can be held down. If I could temporarily switch the functions of the center and scrollwheel buttons that would be great. (Idk if Rockbox is open-source or not; if not, sorry)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so.  And yes, Rockbox is open source, as noted by the banner on the top of this forum.

--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on April 30, 2020, 10:03:40 PM ---- Can sb explain why Rockbox can allow you to play Doom or Duke Nukem but not a relatively simple GBA game like Zelda: Minish Cap or Link to the Past? I understand Spyro:Attack of the Rhynocs would be too much for the hardware, but TLoZ is rather simple, isn't it? An even simpler game would be Pokemon; Fire Red and Leaf Green are virtually identical to Red and Green or whatever the originals are.

--- End quote ---

You can't play GBA games because there is no GBA emulator.  Most devices would be too slow to emulate the GBA anyway. 

rogueKlyntar:

--- Quote from: saratoga on April 30, 2020, 10:59:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on April 30, 2020, 10:03:40 PM ---- Does making multiple saves cause a drop in framerate? If so, how can I delete unwanted saves?

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Still, iss there a way I can delete them?

--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on April 30, 2020, 10:03:40 PM ---- Are there plans to add a feature allowing you to switch the A and B buttons? I am playing Zelda DX and have reached a point where I need to hold down the B button (a scroll wheel button) but it doesn't work; only the A (center) button can be held down. If I could temporarily switch the functions of the center and scrollwheel buttons that would be great. (Idk if Rockbox is open-source or not; if not, sorry)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so.  And yes, Rockbox is open source, as noted by the banner on the top of this forum.
--- End quote ---

Do you know how I could switch the functions of the A and B buttons in Rockboy?

--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on April 30, 2020, 10:03:40 PM ---- Can sb explain why Rockbox can allow you to play Doom or Duke Nukem but not a relatively simple GBA game like Zelda: Minish Cap or Link to the Past? I understand Spyro:Attack of the Rhynocs would be too much for the hardware, but TLoZ is rather simple, isn't it? An even simpler game would be Pokemon; Fire Red and Leaf Green are virtually identical to Red and Green or whatever the originals are.

--- End quote ---

You can't play GBA games because there is no GBA emulator.  Most devices would be too slow to emulate the GBA anyway. 

--- End quote ---

Why wouldn't an iPod be able to handle a GBA emulator for a game like Pokemon or Zelda? Pokemon especially barely changed, they just colored everything individually, plus a few small things. I still don't see why Doom and Duke can be played but a GBA game would be too much for the hardware.

__builtin:

--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on May 01, 2020, 08:53:44 PM ---Why wouldn't an iPod be able to handle a GBA emulator for a game like Pokemon or Zelda? Pokemon especially barely changed, they just colored everything individually, plus a few small things. I still don't see why Doom and Duke can be played but a GBA game would be too much for the hardware.

--- End quote ---

Nobody's written and merged a GBA emulator yet. No device can magically run code that hasn't been written for it.

saratoga:

--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on May 01, 2020, 08:53:44 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Still, iss there a way I can delete them?

--- End quote ---

Looks like they're in /rockboy on your device, so you should be able to find them there and delete them.

--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on May 01, 2020, 08:53:44 PM ---Do you know how I could switch the functions of the A and B buttons in Rockboy?

--- End quote ---

I'm not familiar with the source for rockboy, but you can probably swap which button maps to which key in the source code and then recompile.

--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on May 01, 2020, 08:53:44 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Why wouldn't an iPod be able to handle a GBA emulator for a game like Pokemon or Zelda?

--- End quote ---

Because the GBA is a lot more complicated to emulate.  It actually has the same CPU core as your iPod. 

--- Quote from: rogueKlyntar on May 01, 2020, 08:53:44 PM ---I still don't see why Doom and Duke can be played but a GBA game would be too much for the hardware.

--- End quote ---

You can play Doom, but you would not be able to emulate a port of Doom to the GBA (or probably any device at all). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version