Support and General Use > Hardware

IPOD (ALL MODELS) iFlash Adapter Issues [SOLVED!?]

<< < (2/24) > >>

Frankenpod:
I think the file-writing errors appear only randomly and occasionally and can be subtle (but for others can completely screw-up playback).  And they appear to vary depending on the type and brand of card used.
Some people say they never have any problems, others find playback is hopeless and is only fixed by syncing with the original-firmware.

Have you tried building the database on the ipod?  That seems to frequently reveal the problem.

Also have you tried using some sort of 'fingerprinting' software to do a precise comparison between files on the ipod and the original?  You might find there are differences even if you don't notice them in playing.

Magphil:

--- Quote from: Frankenpod on February 05, 2020, 06:22:12 AM ---I think the file-writing errors appear only randomly and occasionally and can be subtle (but for others can completely screw-up playback).  And they appear to vary depending on the type and brand of card used.
Some people say they never have any problems, others find playback is hopeless and is only fixed by syncing with the original-firmware.

Have you tried building the database on the ipod?  That seems to frequently reveal the problem.

Also have you tried using some sort of 'fingerprinting' software to do a precise comparison between files on the ipod and the original?  You might find there are differences even if you don't notice them in playing.

--- End quote ---

I did build the database on the ipod. It is very big ... some 110K entries.
I jusr read about the simulator, but cannot download it as the site seems to be down.  I did not try any sort of fingerprinting.
I will need to re-sync soon as I have extracted all the album arts on the pc using http://vcardenasblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/album-art-extracter-for-rockbox.html

KeithSPG:
I just got a 4x iFlash adapter for an iPod Video (5thgen) with a single 256 Gb Samsung Evo card in it. I ran into the same problem. It seems as though the file transfer is too fast and the file is not actually written to the SD card completely, only the first portion when mounted as a disc in rockbox. It was a 2+ hour transfer and all I got was skipping. I took the advice and rebooted it in iPod disc mode and transferred files in 12+ hours! So far no skips. Is there a way we can throttle the transfer speed to ensure that it writes? I am sure it can transfer faster than iPod disc mode. I love the sound quality improvement over a BT connection to my phone in the car! Thanks for the hard work!

On another note, I also have an iPod mini 2nd gen that I am trying to get to 128Gb. The type 2 CF adapter works fine as a disc, but the iPod firmware would not write to it. I ordered a Type 1 iFlash adapter and will see if it is any better. It was strange to me that it worked fine as a disc, I coule read, format, write and enything to it, just iPod would not restore to it so I was unable to put rockbox on it. Will see how the next one works.

Keith

adubs:

--- Quote from: Bilgus on November 17, 2018, 01:29:27 AM ---
* Give a Dev an iFlash iPod
--- End quote ---

I'd be willing to do this. I have a 2nd gen mini with the SD-CF iflash adapter that doesnt make it very far without a panic. I'm certainly not smart enough to know what to do with it as far as approaching the problem and I would be hopeless to try and help solve it.

TeslaMark:
Hi, i wish i had seen or been informed about this issue before i purchased the quad SD card flash and a 128GB Sandisk Ultra Pro card.  I can transfer files across and some play but certain tracks ALAC 1005kbps VBR completely crash the Rockbox software.  Its very frustrating.  I get a data abort at4000c908 and the player locks up requiring a reboot to get working again but it never plays the file further than the same point.  I tried the different versions of Rockbox including the development version, the stable version and the release candidate.  I wont lie, rockbox has been a real anticlimax so far.  It looks like an amazing piece of software and teases great functionality but so far its completely unusable with an iflash.  I noticed people selling these online on eBay as 500gb etc, how have they managed to make them work ?  or are they selling bricks?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version