Support and General Use > Hardware

IPOD (ALL MODELS) iFlash Adapter Issues [SOLVED!?]

<< < (22/24) > >>

rockbox_dev123:

--- Quote from: amachronic on October 04, 2023, 03:32:36 PM ---So your speeds look rather typical to me for a USB 2.0 device with a typical less-than-stellar caching implementation.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: speachy on October 04, 2023, 05:59:55 PM ---Just to be pedantic, they're using an iPod 5.5, which has a regular parallel ATA interface that (IIRC) maxes out at UDMA66 burst speeds. Then there's the iFlash PATA/CF<->SD adapter which is its own bottleneck (and I don't think goes over UDMA/33). 

Yeah, those transfer speeds actually better than I'd have expected to see.

--- End quote ---

Thanks both, for your responses.

I just did another quick test using dd on an iFlash mSATA modded ipod6g and got 29.51 MB/s write and 25.14 MB/s read (rockbox build from this month).

I feel like I have reached the max bus speed of USB2 at 40 MB/s in the past on this iPod, but I don't have the data to back that up.

I'm very happy with how well rockbox works with SDXC cards now. The stability of the recent releases, extra battery life and reduced heat is great.

(In my experience the absolute best storage for these devices is CF - however to my knowledge Lexar is the only manufacturer who has ever made a card above 256 GB)

dragonaut:
Hi,

I just came across this forum, as I have a problem with my iPod classic and Rockbox. I have an iflash quad with approx. 1.9TB SD installed and the ipod is running on either the daily or the dev build, both give me the same error. Sometimes it works completely fine, but sometimes I get the following error message 10 times in a row and then I just completely abandon it for a few hours:

*PANIC*
dc_writeback_callback () - Could not write sector 49
9677626 (error -2147483641)
pc:0806fb64
sp: 081306b8

I already formatted the ipod but the error keeps coming after some time.
Do have any idea how to fix this? I tried to find an answer in this forum but I was not sucessfull (or I didn't see it at all). If you need more information, I'll be glad to assist!

Thanks in advance!

Frankenpod:
I'm only making a wild guess, but maybe there's a bad sector on one of the cards?  And perhaps the error only comes up when the device tries to write something to that particular part of that particular card?  (It's unknown to me how the iflash decides which card to write things to, but maybe much of the time it's not picking that particular sector of that particular card?)

Or, the other thought I have, is that large negative error number feels vaguely familiar, I'm sure I've encountered that, but can't remember when or how I got round it.

Edit, funnily-enough just had exactly that error, in rebuilding an ipod, and the issue seemed to be that the cable had come out of the iflash connector while closing the case.  Maybe you have the error intermittently because that connection is flaky?  Try cleaning or replacing the drive cable, maybe?  Sometimes it helps to secure it in place with insulating tape.

dragonaut:

--- Quote from: Frankenpod on October 07, 2023, 07:07:08 PM ---I'm only making a wild guess, but maybe there's a bad sector on one of the cards?  And perhaps the error only comes up when the device tries to write something to that particular part of that particular card?  (It's unknown to me how the iflash decides which card to write things to, but maybe much of the time it's not picking that particular sector of that particular card?)

Or, the other thought I have, is that large negative error number feels vaguely familiar, I'm sure I've encountered that, but can't remember when or how I got round it.

Edit, funnily-enough just had exactly that error, in rebuilding an ipod, and the issue seemed to be that the cable had come out of the iflash connector while closing the case.  Maybe you have the error intermittently because that connection is flaky?  Try cleaning or replacing the drive cable, maybe?  Sometimes it helps to secure it in place with insulating tape.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I will check the connector (and hope, that my battery connector stays safe, haha). Maybe it is just that simple. I also tried CHKDSK /f /r, but after 12 hours at 34% it simply restarted and I had to cancel that. I will test your suggestion in the next days and report!

Frankenpod:
Are you using one of the oversized batteries?  I've found that sometimes, if in a slim case, they can put pressure on the iFlash in a way that seems to make it lose the connection to the drive cable intermittently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version