Support and General Use > Hardware

IPOD (ALL MODELS) iFlash Adapter Issues [SOLVED!?]

(1/24) > >>

Bilgus:
Rockbox has problems when using the iFlash adapters

Questions:
Is this a known issue? - Yes.
Will I have this issue - If you are using anything other than the original harddrive- YES.
Is there a fix? - NO, Not at the moment.
Is there a workaround? - Several

* Join the project and fix the shortcoming
* Transfer Files in disk mode
* Use the Apple firmware
* Complain to the maker of iFlash
* Give a Dev an iFlash iPod
EDIT:
This appears to be fixed in the latest dev versions thanks to Speachy

EDIT2: (2021-03-10)
If you are using a modded iPod (CF, iFlash, SSD, whatever) it is very important that you state that in any bug report.  Similarly, please try the latest nightly or dev build before posting.  The last stable release has _many_ known issues that have long since been fixed.

EDIT3:  (2021-04-23)
We now think this finally resolved in the latest dev versions.  As an added bonus, battery life should be improved as well.

Bilgus:
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,52505.0.html

Bilgus:
GREAT ADVICE!!

--- Quote from: LambdaCalculus on December 07, 2018, 09:18:20 AM ---Speaking from personal experience here: I also tried one of those iFlash mSATA adapters out in an iPod Video, with a 128GB SSD. While installation isn't so bad, I've had nothing but pain and suffering trying to get Rockbox working on this combination. Some of the issues I've experienced include:

* Restoring the device in iTunes wasn't an issue, but the device never showed up afterwards as a proper FAT32 volume on my Linux desktop. If I tried formatting the partition as FAT32, the iPod's firmware would complain and ask me to restore it again, even if I backup its folders beforehand.
* Related to the first point above, I could install Rockbox on the iPod, but then on startup, the bootloader would scream about not being able to find a FAT32 volume.
* Removing the mSATA drive from the adapter and putting it into an enclosure to examine in GParted revealed that the drive had an "Unknown" filesystem on its primary partition. Evoking "fdisk -l" in the terminal showed me that the drive (let's call it /dev/sdi for convenience's sake) had two partitions: "/dev/sdi1" and "/dev/sdi2". /dev/sdi1 was approximately 100MB big, which is correct, and is an unknown filesystem, which is also correct; this is the iPod firmware partition. /dev/sdi2, on the other hand, was also an unknown filesystem, and was the rest of the volume's capacity. This isn't correct; the larger partition should be either FAT32 or HFS+, depending on if it was restored in Windows or a Mac.

I finally gave up on getting the iFlash to work after a while and decided to pick up a 128GB SSD I found on Amazon for pretty cheap: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TPLKQLS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I went with this SSD for two reasons: one, it's the correct size and connector for the iPod Video (and the Classic, in turn!), and two, since it's a proper PATA device, it'll function just as a hard drive should. And sure enough, it hasn't given me one lick of trouble at all since it's been in my iPod Video. I do get improved battery life and the peace of mind that my iPod has no moving parts in it anymore, and I also get expanded capacity for music, and Rockbox happily functions with it in place. If anything, an SSD like this is a far more viable option for those wanting to make their iPods solid state, since you're ensured better compatibility and it's good for those on a budget.

--- End quote ---

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,52591.msg243244.html#msg243244

Frankenpod:
Perhaps should be clarified that the issues seem to be different with mSata SSD adaptors vs SDcard adaptors?

As I understand it, the advice to 'use original firmware for file transfer' applies to the latter.  I'm not sure it's either necessary or even helpful for the former case.  Both have 'issues', but I'm not sure they are the same in each case.

I could be wrong, only have the latter.

Magphil:
Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to rockbox.
I have a ipod classic 6gen 160GB. I replaced the broken hard disk with a quad iflash card and 4 256GB samsung evo micro sd, as I was unaware of the 128GB limitation.
I installed rockbox to get 1TB space as my itune lib is over 800GB.
I did transfer the entire itunes library and so far so good, I did not hit any corruption so far.

So my question is : have you made any progress on iflash support since the last post on this thread over a year ago ? or ... am I just lucky so far and might hit a time bomb ?

I did have some concern when I transfered a few albums only using copy/file explorer on windows 10 (transfer would be very slow and stop for over 20 seconds before resuming) .
To transfer the entire lib, I used Goodsync software (backup sofware using directory comparaison) and did not experience any pause during copy. Took 20 hours.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version