Installation / Removal > Rockbox Utility

2 drives are visible when installed RockBox on Apple iPod Classic 7th Generation

(1/3) > >>

fallen2109:
After a lot of attempts - I have managed to install RockBox on my second iPod Classic - Gen 7. While everything else looks exactly the same as on my Classic 6th Gen.
I have few questions:

1) When the Gen 7 is mounted (connected to  the PC) I see 2 volumes - namely
             - H: - un-formatted with capacity of 192 MB - Windows offers every time to format it :)
              - I: - properly formatted and showing the complete capacity of my mSATA (238 GB)
    Is this normal when using the new boot loader v 1.0 ? My other iPod is with emCore and I do not have this effect there (a small un-formatted drive to show before the real
    one).

2) My newly converted (7th Gen) iPod refuses to work via USB 3.0 ports while the one with emCore boot-loader works equally well with both with USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports.

OR did I mess something by deleting all iTunes directories after the successful RockBox installation yesterday ?
Shall I leave all iTunes original folders (directories) on the iPod hard drive ? Or is this of no significance?

Thank you for your concerns and comments in advance.

fallen2109:
Update:

It seems that my iPod board was defective.. After hanging it - the iPod works both via USB 2.0 as well as 3.0.

Woodentop:
I little late to the party here, but I've also just installed Rockbox to an iPod V7 (160GB) and also see the two drives.

E: 192MB and empty
F: ~148GB contains the hidden iPod_Control folder, the .rockbox folder, and is usable for storing music.

Also Media Monkey sees the E: drive as USB bulk storage and the F: drive as an iPod, so I can't use Media Monkey to sync my music, and have to use a generic file sync program instead.  I tried moving the iPod_Control folder from F: to E:, but that didn't help.

So no big deal, the device is perfectly usable if I just ignore the E: drive.  But still curious if anyone knows what happened here, and whether I followed the wrong procedure.  I used the installer provided, so not sure what I could have done differently.

Thanks.

Frankenpod:
Have Rockbox on several 7th gens and don't get that happening on any of them.  At least not in Windows explorer or in Media Monkey.  I never had much success with using media monkey for sync to rockboxed ipods anyway - it had all sorts of different problems, in particular being really weirdly slow - so just use drag-and-drop (or, more precisely, a robocopy script).

Not really sure what the cause of your issue is, but maybe putting the ipod in diskmode before connecting might be worth trying?

Woodentop:
Thanks.

Did you use the Rockbox Utility (v1.4.1) or some more manual installation?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version