Installation / Removal > Apple - Installation/Removal

Troubleshooting "from all angles" - iPod Classic 6g with microSD cards

<< < (3/7) > >>

GreyBeast:
The extensive flash card test shows the cards are fine, which only confirms what you say. So, basically, having an iPod 6g "thick" means I either HAVE to limit myself to using only 128gb of storage, OR finding out if using the logic board that's also in the 7g (and is capable of >128gb capacity) could work in my iPod. I'm going to go out on a limb and buy that logic board, and will post the results when I'm done.

GreyBeast:
Could it be that transferring the music files under Linux (as opposed to Windows) onto the rockboxed iPod (as if moving files onto an external USB drive) AND having THIS version of the bootloader https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html installed makes for snag-free file transfers?

I'm in the midst of retrying putting music on the iPod, this time under Linux, and it's much smoother under Linux, it seems.

sduck:
I have rockbox running flawlessly on 3 ipod videos (ver 5.5), all with iflash solo cards and 128gb cards in them. I switch the ipods into apple mode when transferring files, otherwise they're always in rockbox mode. So as far as I can tell the rockbox/iflash combo isn't the problem.

I've got a classic 6.6 here that I'm hoping to experiment with with the same hardware updates once all the parts get here. However it's the one I can't install the bootloader onto with the native hardware, so some work still needs to be done.

Frankenpod:
The compatibility problems seem to be way less of a problem with (a) the video as opposed to the classic, and (b) using cards of 128gb or less (as opposed to 256gb or above).  Hence I'm not surprised you have not encountered problems with ipod videos using 128gb cards.  Never really had any issues with 128gb cards myself.

I presume that whatever issues there are, are still there, but that that set-up is far more forgiving of them (more tolerant of timing problems or something?) so one gets away with it.

GreyBeast:

--- Quote from: sduck on February 14, 2018, 06:16:21 PM ---I have rockbox running flawlessly on 3 ipod videos (ver 5.5), all with iflash solo cards and 128gb cards in them. I switch the ipods into apple mode when transferring files, otherwise they're always in rockbox mode. So as far as I can tell the rockbox/iflash combo isn't the problem.

I've got a classic 6.6 here that I'm hoping to experiment with with the same hardware updates once all the parts get here. However it's the one I can't install the bootloader onto with the native hardware, so some work still needs to be done.

--- End quote ---

I don't know if I understood you correctly, but have you tried THIS to get the bootloader installed?:

https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html

mks5lboot works really well on 6.x iPod Classics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version