Installation / Removal > Sandisk - Installation/Removal

How do I completely remove rockbox from my Sansa Clip?

(1/4) > >>

soulweeper:
I installed Rockbox on my clip, and don't like it. I used the utility to remove rockbox, and it said it was successful. Tried removing the bootloader with the utility, and it told me it couldn't do it, and that I had to do it manually. It says try a normal firmware update to remove the bootloader. I tried that, and it didn't work. I tried doing what the manual says, and obviously it doesn't work, or I'm missing something simple, because I can't get rid of it.

Any help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[Saint]:
It really is as simple as the manual states.

Copy an unmodified (ie. not Rockbox bootloader patched) firmware to the device and then boot the original firmware. Turn the player off, turn it back on again. Done.

[Saint]

soulweeper:
Yep....but the only part the manual doesn't say, that I had to find out on my own is.....that you can't turn the player off as quickly, after you've removed rockbox with the utility. I did that first, and the bootloader was still on the player, obviously. Anyway...had I known you have to hold the power off button up for about 30 seconds, it would have been that simple. Either that, or I did something else wrong. I will gladly stand corrected if I'm wrong on this, but that was my experience.

I did put an unmodified copy of the firmware on it, and then re booted it with the back button, while holding the power button....whatever sequence that is. You know what I'm talking about. It would reboot into the stock firmware, but if I turned it off, and back on, it would say Rockbox, and firmware not found....something like that. It was this never ending cycle.

Anyway, I'm getting a Clip+, and I wouldn't mind using Rockbox, but I'm a little older, and need reading glasses, and my one huge gripe is how small the font is. Other than that, I like it. The Clip does have a smaller screen, that's part of it. I'm considering getting the Clip Zip too, as it has a bigger screen, so maybe that would make the Rockbox font more doable.

saratoga:

--- Quote from: soulweeper on March 15, 2015, 12:17:05 AM ---I did put an unmodified copy of the firmware on it, and then re booted it with the back button, while holding the power button....whatever sequence that is. You know what I'm talking about. It would reboot into the stock firmware, but if I turned it off, and back on, it would say Rockbox, and firmware not found....something like that. It was this never ending cycle.
--- End quote ---

If you could even boot into the Sandisk firmware without it flashing, you probably didn't actually copy a valid firmware file to the player.

--- Quote from: soulweeper on March 15, 2015, 12:17:05 AM ---Anyway, I'm getting a Clip+, and I wouldn't mind using Rockbox, but I'm a little older, and need reading glasses, and my one huge gripe is how small the font is. Other than that, I like it. The Clip does have a smaller screen, that's part of it. I'm considering getting the Clip Zip too, as it has a bigger screen, so maybe that would make the Rockbox font more doable.

--- End quote ---

Use a larger font?

soulweeper:

--- Quote from: saratoga on March 15, 2015, 02:09:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: soulweeper on March 15, 2015, 12:17:05 AM ---I did put an unmodified copy of the firmware on it, and then re booted it with the back button, while holding the power button....whatever sequence that is. You know what I'm talking about. It would reboot into the stock firmware, but if I turned it off, and back on, it would say Rockbox, and firmware not found....something like that. It was this never ending cycle.
--- End quote ---

If you could even boot into the Sandisk firmware without it flashing, you probably didn't actually copy a valid firmware file to the player.

--- Quote from: soulweeper on March 15, 2015, 12:17:05 AM ---Anyway, I'm getting a Clip+, and I wouldn't mind using Rockbox, but I'm a little older, and need reading glasses, and my one huge gripe is how small the font is. Other than that, I like it. The Clip does have a smaller screen, that's part of it. I'm considering getting the Clip Zip too, as it has a bigger screen, so maybe that would make the Rockbox font more doable.

--- End quote ---

Use a larger font?

--- End quote ---

I absolutely did copy a valid firmware file to the player....it was from the Sandisk site. I had originally downloaded it to load with the Rockbox utility, as you know. It was a valid copy. I wish I could remember the exact sequence of events, as I'm sure you could point out the one little thing I did wrong, that screwed everything up.

As far as the font, when I did chose one of the largest fonts I could find, it was ok on everything except the "now playing" screen. All the text wasn't showing, and it was pretty ridiculous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version