Rockbox General > Rockbox General Discussion

Nano - Battery life ,urgent!

(1/4) > >>

zeratul:
Hello all, i am thinking of buying an ipod nano , yet i'm concerned about battery life. Having read about rockbox, i am now more eager than ever to buy it. The advertised battery life is 14 hours, yet there are a lot of people on the internet cursing about how they get 7-8 hours tops, some even claim they get at most 3-4 hours. It might be that they didn't "warm up" the li-ion battery by running complete discarge/recharge cycles  or something, but that assumption yields no relief. Moreover, there are no articles which provide real life results of battery tests under various conditions.

First and foremost, how much battery life do you get out of your nano with the stock firmware?  Does browsing through and changing songs make that much of a difference, or is it the backlight that sucks all the power? During daytime, are the menus, etc. legible with the backlight turned off? The thing is, i don't care if i have to turn the backlight off (as long as it's still easy to see what's going on),  but i want to be able to browse though and change songs and listen to them at a high volume with 30 something ohm headphones (namely sennheiser px100), without having to worry about the battery draining dry.

What about rockbox? I realize that power consumption is higher with rockbox than with the original firmware. How many hours can it last without any fancy features and the backlight? Does listening to flac make a significant difference?

I would really appreciate it if you post how many hours you get with your nano. I'm hesitant about buying it merely for this reason, and i think i'll go nuts and eat my bulky md player if i can't get my hands on a decent mp3 player. Seriously, if my worries are unfounded, then i'm just wasting my time not buying the nano right away...  I desperately need confirmation that the nano has at least 10+ hours of battery life.  Links to professional reviews and tests would be even more appreciated. Thanks in advance.

L:

--- Quote from: zeratul on June 27, 2006, 05:15:18 PM ---Hello all, i am thinking of buying an ipod nano , yet i'm concerned about battery life. Having read about rockbox, i am now more eager than ever to buy it. The advertised battery life is 14 hours, yet there are a lot of people on the internet cursing about how they get 7-8 hours tops, some even claim they get at most 3-4 hours. It might be that they didn't "warm up" the li-ion battery by running complete discarge/recharge cycles  or something, but that assumption yields no relief. Moreover, there are no articles which provide real life results of battery tests under various conditions.

First and foremost, how much battery life do you get out of your nano with the stock firmware?  Does browsing through and changing songs make that much of a difference, or is it the backlight that sucks all the power? During daytime, are the menus, etc. legible with the backlight turned off? The thing is, i don't care if i have to turn the backlight off (as long as it's still easy to see what's going on),  but i want to be able to browse though and change songs and listen to them at a high volume with 30 something ohm headphones (namely sennheiser px100), without having to worry about the battery draining dry.

What about rockbox? I realize that power consumption is higher with rockbox than with the original firmware. How many hours can it last without any fancy features and the backlight? Does listening to flac make a significant difference?

I would really appreciate it if you post how many hours you get with your nano. I'm hesitant about buying it merely for this reason, and i think i'll go nuts and eat my bulky md player if i can't get my hands on a decent mp3 player. Seriously, if my worries are unfounded, then i'm just wasting my time not buying the nano right away...  I desperately need confirmation that the nano has at least 10+ hours of battery life.  Links to professional reviews and tests would be even more appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--- End quote ---

My Nano lasts around 10-12 hours with the apple firmware.
Browsing through and changing songs don't make much difference, it is the backlight that switches on that makes the difference.

The menus are not very visible when backlight is turned off, you might have to adjust the angle to view it properly. But seriously, battery is not a problem so you don't have to turn it off.

Yes, rockbox does weaken battery life FOR THE MOMENT. I haven't tested exactly how much so some other user can answer that for you. Listening to flac will make a difference.

And you need to throw that MD player away. I hated my Sony MD. 499 bucks for a piece of shit and my nano costed way lesser.

ts-x:
Also, take a look at this page for documented runtime results:  http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodRuntime.  My personal experience with Ogg Q6 on my Nano is very close to those tests.  I've never used the Apple firmware to play music, so can't give you any feedback there.  Battery life with Rockbox will likely improve at some point in the future once things are optimized (the Nano port is in the very early stages of development).  In regards to your backlight question - I personally find the screen to be suprisingly legible with the backlight dimmed in Rockbox.  Not great, but at least readable.

zeratul:
My main concern is not with the lower stamina of rockbox. I'm sure it will improve drastically, i have high hopes of open source. Actually 8 hours with ogg is not bad at all, for a piece of software at the early stages of development.

--- Quote ---My Nano lasts around 10-12 hours with the apple firmware.
Browsing through and changing songs don't make much difference, it is the backlight that switches on that makes the difference.
--- End quote ---

Are there others who can attest to this?

L do you get 10-12 hours with the backlight switched off, do you listen to it at a high volume setting? If it's not asking too much, could you conduct a battery test and tell me the results? And btw i'm going to sell that md player, don't you worry =)

--- Quote ---I personally find the screen to be suprisingly legible with the backlight dimmed in Rockbox.  Not great, but at least readable.
--- End quote ---

I bet it would be even more legible with such a theme:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WpsIpodNano#IPN_TWD_00

L:

--- Quote from: zeratul on June 27, 2006, 07:41:11 PM ---My main concern is not with the lower stamina of rockbox. I'm sure it will improve drastically, i have high hopes of open source. Actually 8 hours with ogg is not bad at all, for a piece of software at the early stages of development.

--- Quote ---My Nano lasts around 10-12 hours with the apple firmware.
--- End quote ---

Are there others who can attest to this?

L do you get 10-12 hours with the backlight switched off, do you listen to it at a high volume setting? If it's not asking too much, could you conduct a battery test and tell me the results? And btw i'm going to sell that md player, don't you worry =)

--- Quote ---I personally find the screen to be suprisingly legible with the backlight dimmed in Rockbox.  Not great, but at least readable.
--- End quote ---

I bet it would be even more legible with such a theme:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WpsIpodNano#IPN_TWD_00

--- End quote ---

Hi, I have the backlight to switch off after a few seconds, i occassionally turn it on to have a look at the time.

Also, I listen at NEAR max volume, about 95% of the meter. I've nearly gotten knocked down a few times *cough*

I'll test it later when I get home, so in a few hours.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version