Support and General Use > Theming and Appearance Customization

[320x240x24] Redux theme for the iPod Video

(1/4) > >>

jdotfite:
Hey guys, I recently stumbled upon the possible iPod video storage upgrades and then found rockbox.  I quickly picked up an iPod, upgraded the storage and installed rockbox  I am really enjoying rockbox and wanted to contribute something.  I studied everyone's great themes all last week and am now ready to present my own theme.  I am calling it "redux".  I hope you guys like it! http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2162&target=ipodvideo

jdotfite:
I would have really liked to use an anti-aliased Helvetica font for the time in the left hand corner, but for the life of me, I couldn't get figure out cygwin enough to use convttf.  I ended up using droidsans since SAINT released a pack of all the sizes.  Is there a compiled version of convttf for windows or would anyone be willing to do the helvetica fonts for the community?

cholero:
Hello jdotifite,
first of all, thanks for your great theme. It is one the themes that look A-Z stylish.
Maybe you've noticed that your theme is also listed for Cowon D2 Players. Maybe you could add touchscreen areas for the D2 owners, that would be great (or i could do it for you and send it to you, so you would release the update). And an FM screen would be cool too.

Maybe I will look at the convttf if i find the time, but i think it is difficult to get a good result  :(. Anyway, is it allowed, to use the converted Helvetica fonts?

Regards, cholero

cholero:
I've played around a little with covttf. It gives out easily a quite good result:

The main problem are the numbers. It is annoying if you use a font for time display where the numbers are not equally wide. It is not with your Droidsans and I couldn't make it the same width with Helvetica and convttf. I would stay with Droidsans or did you try ubuntu? Ubunt has a constant width.
If you're still interested and have a ttf font which is legal to use (I don't remember where I got my ttf's from), send it to me and I'll try to convert it.

btw, these are the options whit convttf:

Usage: convttf [options] [input-files]
       convttf [options] [-o output-file] [single-input-file]

Default output-file : <font-size>-<basename>.fnt.
                              When '-ta' or '-tc' is specified in command line,
                                default output-file is:
                             <font-size>-<internal postscript-name of input-file>.fnt.
Options:
    -s N   Start output at character encodings >= N
    -l N   Limit output to character encodings <= N
    -p N   Font size N in pixel (default N=15)
    -c N   Character separation in pixel.Insert space between lines.
    -x     Trim glyphs horizontally of nearly empty space
              (to improve spacing on V's W's, etc.)
    -X     Set the horizontal and vertical resolution (default: 60)
    -TA N  Trim vertical ascent  (N percent)
    -TD N  Trim vertical descent (N percent)
    -Ta N  Trim vertical ascent  (N pixels)
    -Td N  Trim vertical descent (N pixels)
    -r N   Row separation in pixel.Insert space between characters
    -d     Debug: print converted glyph images
    -tt    Display the True Type Collection tables available in the font
    -t N   Index of true type collection. It must be start from 0.(default N=0).
    -ta    Convert all fonts in ttc (ignores outfile option)
    -w     Don't try to make digits (0-9) equally wide
    -L     Use lighter hinting algorithm

[Saint]:
Were these the fonts I generated years and years ago?

Droidsans and Ubuntu anti-aliased fonts make me want to say yes, if not, that's an incredible coincidence.

By default, convttf will *try* to make all digits equally wide, unless the user passes the -w flag, but in my experience, this is a mixed bag of results. Most of the convttf flags come with some non-obvious caveat (manually adjusting ascent/descent is a veritable nightmare), but the results are generally "OK".

Should I consider this a call to arms, and generate a new font set to link to the Extras page?

Would this be useful, wanted?

[Saint]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version