Rockbox Development > New Ports

Technics SLDZ-1200

<< < (2/2)

Llorean:
It's more interest than anything else. You need someone with the appropriate programming skills, possibly a way to recover from a flash that doesn't work if firmware resides in flash, and a lot of time for debugging.

As I said, most of the hard work needs to be done by interested people who own the player, which would be you and others you can find.

e-potis:
Hey Llorean, nice to see your responses.

I've read the list about newports. I've got the schematics, bcbs, flowcharts and other info. The problem comes on the reverse engineering part.

I can solder and I'm willing to take one of my units appart (actually I've already done that). I've done some electronics and some programming. But I'm not even close to the skills needed for this job. Another problem is that most people who have these are djs. And most djs can't do electronics. And although all of the users will benifit from a better firmware, I might be alone in trying to develop it. I'm willing to work on it but can't do it alone.

Can you tell from the schematics what kind of work should be done? What's the next step? I've also got schematics for the psu, the audio output, the lcd and panel etc.

The attached diagram might help getting a general idea. I guess the firmware is stored in eeprom.

Thank you for your time.

[attachment deleted by admin, too old]

saratoga:

--- Quote from: e-potis on April 11, 2006, 09:25:48 PM ---
I can solder and I'm willing to take one of my units appart (actually I've already done that). I've done some electronics and some programming. But I'm not even close to the skills needed for this job. Another problem is that most people who have these are djs. And most djs can't do electronics. And although all of the users will benifit from a better firmware, I might be alone in trying to develop it. I'm willing to work on it but can't do it alone.

--- End quote ---

Sorry, but unless you've got the time and skills to work on it, its not going to happen. 

--- Quote ---Can you tell from the schematics what kind of work should be done? What's the next step? I've also got schematics for the psu, the audio output, the lcd and panel etc.

The attached diagram might help getting a general idea. I guess the firmware is stored in eeprom.

--- End quote ---

Probably to figure out how the unit's FLASH can be flashed.  Then find a compiler for whatever chip that schematic lists, work out a bootloader, etc.

e-potis:
I will have much time on a month and I pick up things pretty fast. At least I can try and develop the skills part with some help (guidance from you).

I know it flashes with an sd card with the downloaded firmware after pressing a combo of buttons. It's actually very easy.

--- Quote --- Then find a compiler for whatever chip that schematic lists, work out a bootloader, etc.
--- End quote ---
Any info/how-to/help on these?

Llorean:
Well, you need to identify the primary CPU in the unit, and the look up its architecture online.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version