Support and General Use > Audio Playback, Database and Playlists

Playing a whole artist from database sorting issue

(1/2) > >>

therobbot:
Hi,

I'm having an issue with the behavior of Rockbox. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong and you can point me to the right way to do it. I'd like to be able to play (or add to the playlist) complete folders from the database browsers (e.g. when browsing artist->album I want to add a whole artist folder). I would want the tracks to be sorted by album->tracknumber order (at least if the database is sorted in this way). However, if I add the folder to a playlist with the context menu, the tracks from all albums are sorted alphabetically in the playlist. The same is true for the "<All Tracks>" folder (maybe this is the main problem).

Is there a way to overcome this and play an artist sorted by album->tracknumber (same question for playing a whole genre, etc.)

The funny thing is that it works correctly in the file system browser. I.e. if I insert an artist folder to the playlist from the file system, it is correctly sorted by album->tracknumber (probably because it sorts by <folder name>/<file name> and my files all have tracknumbers in front). But I really want to do this from the database.

If there's a way to achieve this please point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much and thanks a lot for all your coding efforts!

Tobias

some-xtc:
To be honest, this is also annoying for me.

I never use "<All Tracks>", because it does not sort like I want to.

fookgub:
I'd like to have this feature, too. There is a patch (http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/9613), but it's out of date. Some code referenced in the diff has changed since the last time the patch was updated, so manually applying it is not completely straightforward (at least not for me). Might be worth messaging the author, though.

chileboy:
I believe you can accomplish the behavior you're looking for if you're willing to learn using tagnavi_custom.config to create your own menus, as I am now doing.  It's not particularly difficult, you can read up on it in the Database document.

I wanted two menu items, one that would load all of an artist's albums alphabetically, and then sorted by track, and then a second that would load the albums sorted by date, which kind of made more sense to me.  Obviously, it assumes you're pretty meticulous about your tags.

I created two format lines:

--- Code: ---%format "fmt_artist_album_alpha"       "%s %d.%02d. %s" album discnum tracknum title
%format "fmt_artist_album_date"       "%04d %s %d.%02d. %s" year album discnum tracknum title

--- End code ---

Then, the two corresponding menu items:

--- Code: ---"Artist & Album (alpha)" -> artist -> title = "fmt_artist_album_alpha"
"Artist & Album (date)" -> artist -> title = "fmt_artist_album_date"

--- End code ---

When you access either of those menus, using a long select press on an artist will allow you to queue up all of their albums sorted the way you want.

chris_s:

--- Quote from: fookgub on January 12, 2011, 11:57:19 PM ---I'd like to have this feature, too. There is a patch (http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/9613), but it's out of date. Some code referenced in the diff has changed since the last time the patch was updated, so manually applying it is not completely straightforward (at least not for me). Might be worth messaging the author, though.

--- End quote ---
I'm not the author but I've just uploaded an updated version (currently the last comment on that page). It's a nice patch if you use the database at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version