Installation / Removal > Rockbox Utility

Should I install rockbox after it broke my iPod, but I fixed it? [SOLVED]

(1/2) > >>

aleccj1:
Hello,
Yesterday, I attempted to install RockBox. During the installation of the bootloader, rockbox said that installation failed. I think this is due to the fact that my iPod Video 30GB 5.5 gen froze during the installation. It used to freeze up during syncs with iTunes. So, I unplugged my iPod, and it was starting up. Then, it restarted, went to the Apple logo, and restarted again, over and over again. I had to force shut it off to stop it. I tried to restart it, but it wouldn't let me, because it would just begin the loop again. My computer would not recognize it, so I could not reformat it, and reinstall the firmware. But, last night, I fixed it. It syncs without freezing up now (I think). Please don't ask how I fixed it, that's not important.
So, do you think I should take the risk of installing RockBox again?
Thanks in advance.

froggyman:
I would recommend you "Restore" your iPod in iTunes, followed by re-installing Rockbox with the most current Installation Utility.

aleccj1:
What do you mean "most current installation utility"? Keep in mind, if the same problem happens again, I may or may not be able to fix it again.

froggyman:

--- Quote from: aleccj1 on August 16, 2009, 06:33:48 PM ---What do you mean "most current installation utility"?

--- End quote ---
first see http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/RockboxUtility and http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/GraphicalInstall about the installation utility

--- Quote from: aleccj1 on August 16, 2009, 06:33:48 PM --- Keep in mind, if the same problem happens again, I may or may not be able to fix it again.

--- End quote ---

well, even if something goes wrong you can always force it into diskmode so you can restore it in iTunes. To force it into diskmode first you reset it by toggling the hold switch then holding Menu+Center for approx. 30-60 seconds after the "Apple Logo" appears then you hold Center+Play/Pause until it says disk mode on the screen. If it doesn't reset the first time, just keep trying untill it does work, because it *will* work eventually.  ;D

To get of it you simply reset it again.

bluebrother:

--- Quote from: aleccj1 on August 16, 2009, 05:35:03 PM ---Please don't ask how I fixed it, that's not important.

--- End quote ---

And why not? To fully understand what happened and how to prevent it the next time it *is* important to know what happened, and how you fixed it might give valuable pointers. Installing Rockbox is not risky at all, as you can't brick Ipods (except by using physical force).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version