Third Party > Repairing and Upgrading Rockbox Capable Players

Samsung YH-820 : "Connect to PC and repair firmware with recovery utility"

(1/2) > >>

shadoxx:
Have a Samsung YH-820 that doesn't seem to want to load any firmware. I have three versions of firmware that I have tried to load. Their SHA1 checksums are as follows:

--- Code: ---FW_YH820.mi4 (2.39MB) - 0494b29872cc400886c75d796a164971a078bd24
FW_YH820.mi4 (2.80MB) - 1b289070ca621f2db510bde1e83b55797ea694e2
YH820_J.mi4  (4.15MB) - 02cb8379c225b77b7e530e9314a7164eefed97bc

--- End code ---

If you would like a copy of an image, or if you have one that I don't have listed, please contact me. I'm trying to collect all of the firmware images that I can find for this device.

When trying to reload the firmware onto the player, the procedure I used is as follows:

1. Connect the player end of the USB cable to the YH-820 while holding down [>>] so it boots into mass storage mode
2. Format the MP3 player so that there's nothing on the main drive
3. Copy over 'FW_YH820.mi4' to the root of the drive so that it is the only file on the drive
4. Safely disconnect from Windows and reboot the player
5. Firmware should load onto the player

For some reason though, when I do this (have tried it with all three firmware images), the player just tells me to "Connect to PC and repair firmware with recovery utility". I have done this a bunch of times and to no avail. It should be noted that the only thing the recovery utility does when "repairing" the firmware on the player is format the player and copy over FW_YH820.mi4 to the root of the player, and then tell you to restart it.

Does anyone have an image of the player's drive right after a successful firmware update? I'm going to just copy that over to the root of my player, and see if I can get it to load. Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: It should be noted that I have the Janus bootloader [BootLoader v5.00JN]

dado84:
here to you a solution :)

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=6135.msg157495#msg157495

ThunderStorm:

--- Quote from: dado84 on October 26, 2009, 11:59:40 AM ---here to you a solution :)

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=6135.msg157495#msg157495

--- End quote ---

Replacing original firmware with Iriver's does not work.

The screen keeps at the splash, and the player does not respond at all.

Nichlas:
I think your problem might be that you put the firmware in the root directory.
Ii should be located as X:\system\YH820_J.mi4
If that dosent work try using the recovery util from samsung, it will create a couple of files other then firmware.
The H10 boot loader should also work for rockbox, if put in the system dir and renamed as above.
The rockbox directory should however be located in root a X:\.rockbox

ThunderStorm:

--- Quote from: Nichlas on November 30, 2009, 04:21:47 AM ---I think your problem might be that you put the firmware in the root directory.
Ii should be located as X:\system\YH820_J.mi4
If that dosent work try using the recovery util from samsung, it will create a couple of files other then firmware.
The H10 boot loader should also work for rockbox, if put in the system dir and renamed as above.
The rockbox directory should however be located in root a X:\.rockbox

--- End quote ---

I did put this firmware under X:\SYSTEM, and renamed it as YH820_J.mi4.  The rockbox path is also correct.
But the system hangs at splash screen. I tried H10-MTP bootloader, and the system hangs either.
Other bootloaders cannot pass the post, as the warning "Connect to PC and repair..." appears.

The recover utility cannot recognize the player if it's upgraded to Janus MTP firmware. I've tried it for many times.

I guess the bootloader in FLASH memory onboard caused all this

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version