Third Party > Other Utilities

dbm - On The Go Last.fm-like Playlists from Rockbox

<< < (3/8) > >>

audio-i:

--- Quote from: Chronon on February 13, 2009, 03:43:16 PM ---There is this old topic: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=1541.0

--- End quote ---

The idea discussed there is very similar, and also there the main problem for even start thinking about implementing such feature, seemed to be how to put the palylist generating logic in the device. That's why I mentioned Last.fm as a possibility. They have for sure one of the biggest and more complete music listeners database to make their playlist generating logic great, and the mentioned link here http://www.last.fm/api gives hope that it might be possible:

"The Last.fm API allows anyone to build their own programs using Last.fm data, whether they're on the web, the desktop or mobile devices"

soap:

--- Quote from: akahhannah on February 14, 2009, 12:06:10 PM ---"The Last.fm API allows anyone to build their own programs using Last.fm data, whether they're on the web, the desktop or mobile devices"

--- End quote ---
Sure, so long as you are connected to Last.FM's database.  I rather doubt you would want to carry around the whole database just to make playlists (even if you had the capacity).  Since no Rockbox target has WiFi at this point in time, I don't see how that API could be made functional.

Chronon:
Right.  The API consists of calls to a server side application that queries the database.  Just having the name of the command doesn't give us any details of how to replicate that functionality.  Without a web connection we can't invoke any of those methods and the API is useless to us.

To make this tractable one needs to have access to data to be stored in a local, Rockbox database.  Whoever works on this needs enough details about the information taken from last.fm or MusicIP or whichever source to actually devise a sensible metric for determining each track's "distance" from each other. 

audio-i:
Not knowing really anything about the technical details, here's how *I've seen* it works for ipod touch / iphone (I don't know if also for other ipods). There is a desktop application that gathers the information from your local music files (in their case itunes) and transmits it to the public database (in our case would be last.fm), which returns information from your local music and it's correspondence to the public database - that includes, amongst other things, other users listening habits - to be stored locally.

That information is also stored in the device after syncing, and this feature (in our case the new Rockbox feature) allows to use that information to generate intelligent playlists on the go, by choosing a song to be the starting point for a set of songs that go really well together. Now, how interesting those playlists can be, is hard to explain, one would have to try it to see how good they are.. as I said, even much better than what can be done with desktop media players automatic playlists based on rules for genres, ratings, etc... and of course, the beauty of it is that it can be done wherever you are.

soap:
If it works off-line like that - the first step would be for someone to figure out what data is stored on the DAP and how it is stored.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version