Rockbox Development > Feature Ideas

New Feature Idea - Plausible?

(1/3) > >>

bazokajoe_2k:
The newest version of winamp has me thinking.

The newest Winamp contains an implementation of MusicMix software, it automatically analyzes the acoustics of your audio files and creates a categorized database.  You can then select any song in your library and click a "mix" button and it will create a 20 song playlist filled with songs similar to the song you selected.

Now, I'm assuming it would most likely be illegal to write a program to read the database that winamp creates, but would it be possible to write a program that would analyze the acoustics of your tracks, and store the database on the iRiver.  Then, have an option to "Mix" a track and have it look up similar tracks in the database to create a playlist?

I'm not entirely sure how difficult this would be to do...I have no programming skills unfortunately.  What I'm doing now is mixing tracks in winamp and just copying the playlist over, but sometimes you just want to hear songs like one song that you didn't plan for earlier.

So, possible reality or far fetched idea?

vecta:
I don't know if I'm missing something, but I can't find a "mix" button, or any mention of MusicMix in my version (5.091 pro) - It sounds like some functionality I'd love to play with if you could give me a pointer as to where to find it.

Ric.

shotofadds:
You need Winamp 5.1 for this...

nobby:
no, using winamp's DB wouldnt be illegal, why would it?

bazokajoe_2k:
It's in Winamp 5.1 in the music library.  The main selection for it is at the very bottom, called Prodixis MusicMagic.  You run the analysis through there.  You select any song in your library and there's a mix button.

And as for legality, as far as I'm aware Predixis wrote the plugin for Winamp, and it keeps a separate database.  I'm sure they've copyrighted their technology too.  But it's such an awesome feature it would be very neat to see an implementation of it in Rockbox.

EDIT: Here's the link to the site of the people who lent the technology to winamp: http://www.predixis.biz/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version