Rockbox General > Rockbox General Discussion

Option to display albums in Database by year?

<< < (7/7)

shoe:
I don't believe its possible using the tagnavi.config stuff.  The %strip keyword is only useful for displaying actual tracks, from what I understand.

SojiOkita:
Hi,

I'm very interrested by this patch but I have absolutely no idea how to use it.

As the discussion is 4 years old:
- is it possible to do it easily?
- what I want is sorting by album date, but as I use a clip+ with a little screen, it would be better if the year isn't displayed... is it still not possible?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

chileboy:
Have a look at my post in this thread for an example on how to accomplish this.  You should be able to modify it a bit so that the year isn't actually displayed.

chris_s:
The solution I've ended up with and prefer is to use the comments tag for this.

I ran a script that iterates over all audio files in my Rockbox music folder and copies the album tag to the comments tag, then prefixes it with the highest value it finds in the year tag of any other tracks from the same album (by the same album artist). Then I can browse through the albums of an album artist by year using:

--- Code: ---"Albums by year" -> albumartist -> comment -> title = "fmt_title"
--- End code ---

in my tagnavi.config

I had previously used the "yearalbum" patch but found it lacking due to the fact that it would split up albums that contained tracks from different years.

chris_s:

--- Quote from: chris_s on March 13, 2021, 03:57:54 PM ---The solution I've ended up with and prefer is to use the comments tag for this.

I ran a script that iterates over all audio files in my Rockbox music folder and copies the album tag to the comments tag, then prefixes it with the highest value it finds in the year tag of any other tracks from the same album (by the same album artist). Then I can browse through the albums of an album artist by year using:

--- Code: ---"Albums by year" -> albumartist -> comment -> title = "fmt_title"
--- End code ---

in my tagnavi.config

I had previously used the "yearalbum" patch but found it lacking due to the fact that it would split up albums that contained tracks from different years.

--- End quote ---
Turns out I'll be using the "yearalbum" patch again, only slightly modified (g3732 on Gerrit if anyone's interested). In the end, while I previously hadn't been happy when an album with tracks from different years was split apart,  I didn't want to lose the comments tag either – especially since it forced me to keep different versions of my files on the DAP which turned syncing into a bit of a chore. So I've made a trivial modification to the patch such that it uses the year tag by default but also looks at the beginning of the comments tag. If it finds a prefix that fits this pattern: [album:1999] it uses the number from that for the yearalbum tag. That has the advantage of letting me still use the comments tag for additional purposes.

If someone wanted to put more work into it, a clean solution would probably be to compute the “album year” when initializing the database by iterating over all tracks with the same album artist and album title and then saving the highest number to the yearalbum tag for each of the album’s tracks. Then you wouldn't even have to use the slightly hacky comments-prefix approach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version