Hi Dudes (read: X5 users),
I assume most of you have been through a problem similar to this in the past - so I'd be interested to see your thoughts (can't really find a definitive answer no matter how much I search). I just managed to get my hands on a 20GB X5L & have the following requirements before rockboxing.
(1) Clearly, although 20 GB seems pretty large to most people, it will fill up pretty quickly if one uses a lossless file fomat.
(2) Any chosen file fomat must be gapless (fave music is segue driven alum rock - Pink Floyd, etc).
(3) Therefore, we need a lossy, gapless format. This clearly excludes mp3.
(4) The best lossy format (to my ears, anyway
) is OGG.
(5) OGG unfortunately provides the worst battery life, which is already impeded by the use of Rockbox in any case.
(6) So we come to the problem of needing a gapless lossy format which is preferable to OGG in terms of CPU usage, but doesn't lose out on the sound quality too much.
Anyone got any ideas/data?
PS -- Further to all this, would anyone advise not even trying the X5L with the original firmware so as not to be disappointed by the drop in sound quality by rockboxing (don't know whether this is a myth or not)?