Welcome to the Rockbox Technical Forums!
What do you think about starting another branch of rockbox, with an easy to use interface as goal.
- Create a wiki for users, where they can propose user interface ideas,
- Start with a reduced number of menu entries and depth.
- Reorganize menu entries by most used entries, for example last played music at top level, etc...
Separate normal, advanced, and ( normaly ) never used options.- Show normal options, - Hide advanced options by default, but left a button advanced.
- For power users, let the ability to set normaly never used options, for instance with a register editable in an advanced section. Like the about:config from mozilla products.
- Hide unusable options : Why display FM radio when my sansa e200 doesn't have one ?
Create new GUI widgetsFor instance, why use another page to set the play speed. A single percentage number that raise or below when is focused may be fairly better, and use less space on screen.
Games and applications- Remove geek applications and games.
- Harmonize settings, translations, and loog'n'feel.
Default theme- Create a default theme for each model.- Example : after installation on my sansa e200, the default theme was poor in regards of this device capabilities.
I have the feeling that Rockbox is a project by geeks, for geeks.
I dont know if you want became a more ambitious project :- Included by default in some players, based or untouched.- Receive donations or being employed by players manufacturers.- Improve user acceptations of open source codecs.
And just to respond to those very few line items that BigBambi did not touch upon...
Quote from: arodier on September 18, 2007, 06:56:29 AMI have the feeling that Rockbox is a project by geeks, for geeks.Yes, I also think this is true. For me this is the open source philosophy: geeks make a program that is useful to them and decide to share it with the world.
That is to my own detriment, seeing as the largest (non-modified) capacity available on a Rockbox target is 80GB whilst my collection tops 120GB.
Reorganize GUI with less menu depth and more logic for users.
Shouldn't an interface/menu system be designed on paper first? Going straight to coding it seems a bit silly.If someone can think of a 'better' design they should put a design document on the wiki so it can be discussed. Wouldn't that be a good starting point?
Page created in 0.278 seconds with 80 queries.