Finally got Rockbox on my iPod Classic (120GB) and aside from the very rare random freeze, it has been running without a hitch. Music plays fine, Rockboy works like a charm, and all Plugins function normally. I haven't tried videos yet but I am confident they won't give me any trouble.
The only major issue I am having is getting my computer to recognize my iPod after installing Rockbox via emCORE. As far as I can tell, Rockbox will show a USB indicator right next to the Battery Meter when connected. At this point Rockbox will freeze and I will be forced to hit MENU+SELECT to reboot (The iPod has been left connected and untouched for well over 12 hours).
Following the instructions at "http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation
" I arrive at this point:
After getting the iPod into the emCORE boot menu I can attempt to run Rockbox and then connect my iPod to my computer where it will be recognized as "iPodClassic" (This happens in both Windows and Linux). There have been times when attempting to boot into Rockbox, (as instructed, before copying the ".rockbox" folder to the iPod), where the device would not be recognized after any duration of time. This aside, when working correctly I can then access my iPod and copy .rockbox and what ever else I want into the device. Upon ejecting, the iPod Rockbox will boot up and all my files will appear in the file browser in perfect working order. After this point, if I were to restart my computer or wait long enough, plugging in the device would result in the freezing I explained above.
All I want is to access my iPod to add or remove files without the need of the original firmware. If there any way I can remedy this problem, preferably via Linux (Ubuntu 10.10), it would be greatly appreciated.Some things to be aware of:
- Yes I know this project is in it's early alpha stages, I don't expect this to be fixed immediately. I can function perfectly well with the original Apple firmware till this is addressed if it ever is.
- I have managed to install Rockbox from both my Windows and Linux partitions.
- I did install FastBoot.
- This issue existed before I installed FastBoot.
- I am unaware of how to update Rockbox and I believe this could be a possible reason for this issue.
- I have read about USB HID but I could not find it in Settings > General Settings > System, could I be looking in wrong area and could this be part of the problem?
- The iPod is not recognized when running the fall back image in the emCORE boot menu.
- The iPod is not recognized when dropping into the emCORE console.
- The iPod is inaccessible running UMSboot.
- The only time the computer will recognize the iPod is after being connected and shut off completely (Holding MENU+SELECT for 15 seconds or more) where iTunes will attempt to restore it (Windows needs to format disk in order to be read) or using the "lsusb" command in linux where it will only be listed as "Bus 002 Device 006: ID 05ac:1223 Apple, Inc. iPod Classic/Nano 3.Gen (DFU mode)" (The iPod will not mount).
Replacing the .zip and .ubi files with these:http://files.freemyipod.org/tmp/installer-ipodclassic-usbfixcandidate.ubihttp://files.freemyipod.org/tmp/rockbox-ipodclassic-usbfixcandidate.zip
will eliminate the problem.
- Thanks to [St.] and benedikt93