The reader after formatting is not inside the system folder so I can not copy the file manually jukebox.mi4, the dimensions are 27.8 gb hard drive. I have always connected the player in USB mode. The first player that worked Parfett
I'm sorry but i don't understand what you are saying. You said that you ran all the instructions and reformatted the drive. Also you gave a proper player's disk size, so you had to be in MSC mode. So what's the problem with copying the file manually to the system directory on your player?
Here are the steps necessary to recover the player:
1. Make sure that you have your player fully charged (or almost fully). Connect it to the external charger for about two hours, or through the USB cable (charging will take more time in this case).
2. After charging it, connect it through the MSC mode in order to access the drive as a mass storage.
a) turn off the player (Original Firmware).
b) connect your Vibe 500 to the computer using the data cable.
c) push and hold Power (for about 2 seconds) until the â€œUSBâ€ screen appears.
The player should now appear as a regular disk on your computer. You should hear the drive spinning constantly, without "the click of death", mentioned by LambdaCalculus379. Otherwise if there is no any sound or you hear the click of death, you have a hardware problem.
3. To make sure that you don't have a disk errors, you should format the drive (FAT32 only).
4. Create the "SYSTEM" directory on your player.
a) If you want to restore OF, you have to download the JUKEBOX.mi4 file from here: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/pub/Main/PackardBellVibe500Port/JUKEBOX.mi4
and copy it to the "SYSTEM" folder on your player.
Sometimes it happens that the file is not copied correctly (often it has a wrong file size = 0) and you see "Please check HDD" message again. In this case you should connect the player in MSC mode and copy the file again, until it will finally run. You may need to check the hdd before this (run "cmd" and then type "chkdsk drive_letter: /f" if you're on Windows).
b) If you want to install Rockbox, you should download the JUKEBOX.mi4 file from here: http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/vibe500/jukebox.mi4
and copy it to the SYSTEM folder on your player (basically it is the part of the manual: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-vibe500/rockbox-buildch2.html#x4-110002.2.2
- "Installing the bootloader"). At the end you should install the Rockbox - "Installing the firmware" from the above chapter of the manual.
These instructions should always work, unless you have a hardware problem with your player. It's practically impossible to brick the Vibe 500, just like ipods.