Rockbox General > Rockbox General Discussion

Playlist trouble with UTF8

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lear:
Strange behavior indeed, but I can't reproduce it. Bluebrother is probably right, there's something strange with the filesystem.

What happens if you save the playlist, does it show the same behavior?

In any case, I'd like a copy of such a playlist, as well as the file .rockbox/.playlist_control (as it is after step 2). I might not be able to do anything about it, but it would be interesting to see the files anyway.

APz:

--- Quote from: bluebrother on October 12, 2007, 11:53:25 AM ---
--- Quote from: APz on October 12, 2007, 11:43:29 AM ---Many of the files in my iRiver H120 have scandinavian letters (ä, ö and å) in the filenames. They are mostly encoded latin-1, but some are UTF-8.
--- End quote ---
This is not possible. VFAT uses UCS-2 to encode the filenames, you can't simply use utf8. If you have different encodings for the filenames something is for sure broken with the filenames.
--- End quote ---

The files were produced by the "abcde" script, and have utf-8 in their filenames. I simply copied them to the iRiver, and doing "ls" shows them correctly, atleast on Linux's side. Browsing the files in Rockbox shows the filenames as "raw" utf-8, but seeing no harm in this (as I'm more interested in the tags, and they do show up correctly) I never bothered to rename anything.

I've attached a "screenshot" of how the filenames show up after being added into a freshly created playlist. They play just fine, until the playlist is saved.

APz:

--- Quote from: Lear on October 15, 2007, 02:28:53 PM ---Strange behavior indeed, but I can't reproduce it. Bluebrother is probably right, there's something strange with the filesystem.
What happens if you save the playlist, does it show the same behavior?
In any case, I'd like a copy of such a playlist, as well as the file .rockbox/.playlist_control (as it is after step 2). I might not be able to do anything about it, but it would be interesting to see the files anyway.

--- End quote ---
Adding the the files into a fresh playlist allows playing them, but saving the playlist and then reloading it will cause all the files with UTF-8 in their filenames to have the (ERR) in their filenames.

I've attached a small "screenshot" what happens after the playlist is reloaded, and the playlist itself. The playlist had to be renamed to .txt as the forum didn't accept the original filename :/

Lear:
Hm, the utf-8-encoded filenames seem to get corrupted when written to (or possibly read from) disk, but I can't really see how. I'd understand it if you saved the playlist with an ".m3u" extension, but that doesn't explain the other case (where inserting a track in the playlist cause the same behavior). Getting a copy of ".rockbox/.playlist_control" from before the playlist has been saved might help...

markun:
I suspect that the drive is mounted with the wrong codepage settings. Do you mount with " -o iocharset=utf8" when you copy UTF-8 encoded files? I would advise you to have all your filenames in the same encoding btw, makes life easier.

But I also don't understand how the same file ends up in the playlist with 2 different encodings. Sounds like a bug in rockbox to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version